It’s no secret that Wisconsin winters are cold. But that doesn’t mean you have to spend the next few months cooped up inside under blankets waiting for the snow to melt! (Although I admit, sometimes those days are necessary.) There are so many things going on in Oshkosh, no matter what season it is! Here are a few suggestions for some things to do until the weather warms up — but this list is really just the tip of the iceberg. All winter-related pun intended. 😉
1. Pick up some fresh produce, baked goods and more at the winter Oshkosh Farmers Market.
2. Check out the Heart of Winter Celebration at the Leach Amphitheater!
3. Watch people dive into Lake Winnebago’s icy waters for a good cause at the Polar Plunge…or, if you’re brave, make the plunge yourself!
4. Participate in or bundle up and hang out at the annual Battle On Bago ice fishing competition — the largest ice fishing tournament in the Midwest!
5. Do a little shopping at the Outlet Shoppes, all the chain stores along the highway and the local shops in downtown Oshkosh!
6. You could also head up to the Fox River Mall in Appleton, if the weather permits.
8. Check out an art exhibit at the Paine Art Center and Gardens (this season’s exhibit features artwork by a UW Oshkosh alumna!).
9. Play in the snow! Seriously. You’re never too old to make a giant snowman or have an intense snowball fight with your friends.
10. Go sledding at Garbage Hill in Red Arrow Park.
11. Join a recreational sports league in the community or on campus.
12. Hit up as many local cafes as you can and sip on some warm drinks with friends!
13. Grab some friends and go ice skating at the YMCA during their daily open skate hours.
14. Go bowling at one of Oshkosh’s fabulous bowling alleys. (And look into cosmic bowling, too!)
15. Try out new local restaurants that you’ve never tried before!
16. Explore an exhibit at the Oshkosh Public Museum! This season, you can “Be The Dinosaur” through virtual technology.
17. Try out new local restaurants that you’ve never been to before!
18. Or, you can spend those too-cold-to-leave-the-house days trying your hand at cooking! (And it’s always nice if you have an extra helping hand…or paw.)
19. Step back in time with a (super inexpensive) throwback movie at the Time Community Theater on Main Street, which was built in 1908!
20. You could also check out a movie at the Oshkosh Marcus Theater…$5 Tuesdays and $5 student Thursdays. Score!
21. Check out all the live music that seems to be happening pretty much any night in downtown Oshkosh — and on campus, too!
22. Head downtown the first Saturday of every month for the Oshkosh Gallery Walk.
23. Rent snowshoes, skis or a snowboard from Xpeditions and explore Oshkosh’s snowy terrain! (I suggest the Wiouwash Trail, which is also open for snowmobiling.)
24. Hang out at the Oshkosh Public Library for a day. It’s a beautiful building!
25. And, on those days that are just too cold to get out from under the blankets, I highly recommend a movie marathon and some hot chocolate. 🙂
If you have any other suggestions for Oshkosh winter activities, please comment them below so we can all share in the fun! Stay warm, Titans!