By: Megan Sullivan

Hi, I’m Megan, a Senior at UWO from Oak Park, IL. I originally came in very undecided about my major but found a passion in Communication Studies and Public Relations. Throughout my four years here, I have gained wonderful friends, awesome connections with professors, and the absolute best memories. I was lucky enough to find a home at UWO, and hope that you can too!

Over the past four years, I have successfully explored many areas of Oshkosh, both on and off-campus. Some of my favorite activities involve enjoying the beautiful outdoors along Lake Winnebago, Lake Butte des Morts and the Fox River. However, when it hits winter in the Fox Valley, I am willing to do anything but go outside. Luckily, there is an endless amount of activities to keep me entertained in the winter. So, I have compiled a list that highlights a few of my favorite off-campus spots to explore when you can manage a study break.

1. Oshkosh Celebration of Lights

During the holiday season, Menominee Park hosts an amazing light show that I make sure to catch every year. Driving through the show while listening to holiday music with my friends is easily one of my favorite traditions in Oshkosh. You can drive through the mile-long light show every evening from 5:30-9:00 pm, and there are even free community nights that I make sure to take advantage of! This event has extra bonus points this year, in my opinion, for being COVID-19 friendly!

2. Oshkosh Fire Escape

Going to the Oshkosh Fire Escape is a must in my book! Located in downtown Oshkosh (just minutes from campus), you can paint your own pottery, wood signs or canvases. Not only is this an awesome thing to do on a chilly afternoon with some friends, but you will also get to walk away with your creation. During these times, they are even offering at-home paint kits that you can order!

3. Marcus Cinema

My friends and I are known for loving a good movie night- especially if it is at the Marcus Cinema in Oshkosh. This movie theater is easily one of my favorites with the most comfortable chairs ever (I’m telling you, it makes a difference) and reduced rates for students! Plus, they always show holiday movies in the winter if you want to get in the spirit.

4. Escape Oshkosh

Escape Oshkosh is the best escape room located only a short walk away from campus. You and your friends get 60 minutes to link clues and puzzles together to escape a room. This is always such a great way to spend a winter evening and is fun for everyone.

5. Go Bowling!

Although I might be the worst bowler you will ever know, that does not stop me from enjoying it! There are a number of places to bowl in Oshkosh, but my friends and I are regulars at Revs. My favorite is the all-you-can-bowl deal after 9 pm on weekends. I get extremely competitive, but I absolutely never win.

6. Explore Cafes

One of my favorite things about the city of Oshkosh is how many awesome cafes there are. I am a huge coffee connoisseur, and Oshkosh has truly fueled that addiction. Some of my favorite local cafes include New Moon, Planet Perk and Carmel Crisp Corner. Whether I want to quickly stop in for a treat, or study off-campus for hours on end, there is never a shortage of cafes!

7. Blades and Boards

If you are looking for a fun activity with friends, or just a place to get some anger out, I suggest going hatchet throwing at Blades and Boards. Although I was suspicious of this hobby at first, it is such a fun place to go and enjoy your evening.

8. Shopping

I simply could not write an entire blog post without mentioning the wonderful shopping that we have here in Oshkosh. Of course, we have one of the best outlet malls ever that I have spent my fair share of time. We also have great thrift shops all throughout town where I find the best deals. There are even cool boutiques and small businesses in the downtown area that I enjoy. No matter where you are in Oshkosh, you are never far from an awesome store!

Obviously, this short blog does not cover all of the wonderful activities that you can explore throughout Oshkosh; I just wanted to highlight some of my favorites. No matter what the weather may be, you will never be bored in Oshkosh. As always, if you have any questions or want to chat all-things Oshkosh, feel free to reach out to the Admissions Office.