Where can I vote? - American Democracy Project
Select Page

Contact Us

Dr. James Krueger, Associate Professor of Political Science
Office: Sage Hall 4621
Phone: (920) 424-0924
Email: kruegerj@uwosh.edu
Dr. Charles Hill, Associate Vice Chancellor Curricular Affairs and Student Academic Achievement
Office: Dempsey Hall 335
Phone: (920) 424-3190
Email: hill@uwosh.edu

Voting Information

Registering to Vote in Oshkosh

Where am I Eligible to Vote?

Students who live in Oshkosh are eligible to vote in Oshkosh–alternatively, if you are from another area and wish to vote there, you can do that.  It is up to you to decide where you will vote. If you plan to vote in your parents’ locality, contact your city (or county) clerk to receive an absentee ballot.  To search by address for your municipal clerk for your city, town, or village in Wisconsin, please visit here.  For information on voting for those from OUTSIDE of Wisconsin, you can visit here.

You can only vote in one place and you have to register in the community you plan to vote in.

  • If you plan to vote in your parents’ locality, contact your city clerk now.
  • If you plan to vote in Oshkosh, please see the following section for information on registration and polling places.

Early Voting

 NOTE:  Where ever you vote, you will need to bring a photo I.D.




The following photo IDs are acceptable for voting purposes, and can be unexpired or expired after the date of the most recent general election (currently, the November 4, 2014 election):

  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued driver license, even if driving privileges are revoked or suspended
  • A Wisconsin DOT-issued identification card
  • A Military ID card issued by the U.S. Uniformed Services (including retired and dependent uniformed service IDs)
  • A U.S. passport book or card
Questions about voting? Go to https://myvote.wi.gov

When do Polls Open and Close?

All voting locations are open from 7 a.m. until 8 p.m.

Where can I vote? – Living in Dorms:

Students living in any UW Oshkosh Residence Hall vote at Albee Hall on Campus. View campus map here.

Where can I vote? – Living off campus:


Register before Election Day:

If you are voting in Oshkosh, you can register in the municipal clerk’s office up to the Friday before the election (November 5th).  Proof of residency is required when registering.  You must have lived at your present location for 10 days preceding the election.  Hours for the Clerk’s Office City Hall – Monday-Friday:  8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Register at the Polls:

You can register to vote on Election Day.

Persons who register or change their address at the polls on Election Day must present acceptable proof of residence or have their statements substantiated and signed by one other elector from the same municipality who must accompany them to the polls. If this witness is not a registered voter, he or she must also present proof of residence.

Acceptable Forms of Proof of Residence:

You need proof of identification AND a document that verifies your current residential address.  Please read the Proof of Residence document for more information.


Forms of Identification:

  • Wisconsin driver’s license OR Wisconsin state ID card
  • Current U.S. Passport OR U.S. Military ID

If another acceptable proof of identification is unavailable or inconvenient to obtain, you may use a Voter ID Compliant Student ID card.

Note: This is not the same as your TitanCard.  TitanCards are NOT considered an acceptable or compliant form of ID for voting.

Titan Central in Reeve Memorial Union can make a Voter ID Compliant Student ID card for you.

The first card is free and a replacement card will cost is $2.

Verifying Your Local Address:

  • If your WI driver’s license has your current local address on it that is all you need to vote.
  • If it doesn’t have your local address on it (or you don’t have a WI driver’s license) you can bring a utility bill that has your local address on it.
  • If you live on-campus or don’t have a utility bill, go to TitanWeb and print off a Voter ID Enrollment Verification Form.

Make sure your local address is correct before you print it. The Voter ID Enrollment Verification qualifies as proof of residence to allow you to register to vote in the district or ward that includes that address.

More information about the Voter ID law and acceptable photo ID’s are available at:

Am I an Eligible Voter?

You must meet the following criteria to be eligible to vote:

  • U.S. citizen
  • 18 years of age on or before Election Day
  • Resident of WI for at least 10 days before to registering

If you are not registered before to Election Day, you can register at your polling location. Certain individuals may be ineligible to vote based on the following criteria:

  • Any person convicted of treason, felony or bribery that has not completed the terms of his or her sentence including probation, parole or extended supervision
  • A person who has been determined by a court to be incapable of understanding the objective of the elective process or who is under guardianship
  • Anyone who has made or become interested, directly or indirectly, in any bet or wager depending upon the result of the election.

Additional Resources


  1. The information used in this guide on “Am I eligible to register?” was developed by the Elections Division of the Wisconsin Government Accountability Board
  2. The information under the headings “Acceptable forms of proof of residence” and “Register at the polls” was adapted from the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Voter Information page