Select Page

Advisor Tools & FAQs

**Professional advisors in the UARC have advising loads of approximately 300 students both designated to a specific program as well as those who are undecided. Professional advisors also serve as liaisons to faculty and departments in each college in accordance with the total intake model after students transition from a professional advisor to a faculty advisor. UARC liaisons partner with faculty to assist with understanding the Advisement Report and USP requirements, provide information on how best to reach out to advisees, assist with planning and coordination of group advising sessions for majors, and provide general information about advising to academic departments.**
If you would like to contact your UARC liaison, please call the UARC (920) 424-1268 or see the current liaison list.

Faculty Advising FAQs

Q: How do I know who my advisees are?

A: Faculty advisers will consult with the Program Assistant(s) in their respective departments to identify those students who have been assigned to them as advisees. Individual departments and programs within Colleges have set guidelines for how advisees are to be assigned.


Q: How do you change a major or minor?

A: Students who wish to change a major or minor should stop by the Undergraduate Advising Resource Center in the Student Success Center Suite 202.


Q: How long does a student have to drop a class?

A: Students should check for deadlines in the add/drop calendar before dropping classes. If the class is the student’s only class, see question on Withdrawing from the University, below.

If a student wants to drop a class after these deadlines, she/he must complete a Request for Late Drop Form (available in the Registrar’s Office in Dempsey 130).


Q: Is withdrawing from the University the same as dropping a class?

A: No. Dropping a course and withdrawing from the university are two separate issues with different deadlines and processes.  Dropping a course is the deletion of a single course from your schedule. Withdrawing from the university is the dropping of all courses, including interim.

Students may withdraw from the University by dropping all their classes. They must notify the Registrar’s Office in one of the following ways:

    1. Come to the Registrar’s Office in Dempsey 130
    2. Call the Registrar’s Office at (920) 424-3454
    3. Send an email to or a letter to Registration Office, Attn: Withdraw, 800 Algoma Blvd., Oshkosh, WI 54901. Please include your name, Student ID number and the term from which you are withdrawing.

The deadlines for withdrawals vary for each term & session Please see the Add Drop Calendar.

After these deadlines, students seeking to withdraw must complete a Term Withdrawal Form, including Part II Appeal for Late Term Withdrawal. Students should consult the Fee/Refund Schedule for information about refunds and charges. Withdrawal does not remove the obligation for costs incurred by a student during the semester. Questions should be directed to Student Accounts, Dempsey 236, (920) 424-1332.


Q: If a student doesn’t attend for a semester do they have to re-apply?

A: Yes. Students who do not attend a semester will need to reapply to the campus when returning. Contact the Admissions Office, Dempsey 135 or phone (920) 424-0202.


Q: How do I find out about Study Abroad?

A: To learn about study abroad programs contact the Office of International Education at (920) 424-0775 or by email to Study Abroad. Their website is also an excellent source to learn about the study abroad programs.


Q: How does a student get permission for a credit overload?

A: The following unit (cr.) load maximums have been established for undergraduates:

  • 17-week term: 21 units (crs.)
  • 14-week term: 18 units (crs.)
  • 7-week term: 9 units (crs.)
  • 3-week term: 3 units (crs.)
  • 8-week term: 9 units (crs.)
  • 4-week term: 6 units (crs.)

In extraordinary circumstances students may file a written request to exceed these limits. Students should see an adviser in the Undergraduate Advising Resource Center, Student Success Center Suite 202, for an application for appeal to schedule an overload. Final decisions on overload requests are made by the respective college Assistant Director or Dean’s Designee.


Q: What should students consider when thinking about dropping below full time status?

A: Dropping below full time (12 credits for a regular semester) can cause problems in the following areas:

  • Athletic eligibility
  • Discount on insurance rates
  • Veterans benefits and financial aid
  • Eligibility for the Dean’s list
  • Progress toward graduation and financial aid


Q: How can a student find out how courses transfer to or from UW Oshkosh?


  • Equivalences for all UW System schools and Wisconsin Technical Colleges can be found on Transfer Information System (TIS).
  • Students with classes outside the UW System or Wisconsin Technical Colleges should contact the Admissions Office for equivalences.

Q: How can a student request a transcript? 

ATo obtain an official transcript, students must submit a signed, written request. They can either come to the Records Office to complete a transcript request form or download the form and send your request to the Records Office. An official transcript is printed on security paper and bears the signature of the Registrar and the embossed school seal. Only official transcripts are mailed. Faxed transcripts are not considered official. It is up to the receiver to decide if faxed information can be used in place of an official transcript. Transcript requests should be placed well in advance of date needed to insure adequate time for processing. To obtain an Unofficial Transcript or enrollment verification, students must go to the Student Service Center on Titan Web. Students also have the option to request an Official Transcript from the Student Service Center on Titan Web.

The cost of transcripts are $5.00 per set for regular service (3-5 day processing) and $7.00 per set for rush service (24 hour processing). Checks or money orders made payable to UW Oshkosh, credit cards (Visa, MasterCard or American Express) or cash are accepted. Transcripts will not be issued to students who have any outstanding financial obligations to the University.

UW Oshkosh has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to act on the Registrar’s behalf in providing proof of enrollment for third parties. Third parities could include: health insurers, loan guarantors, credit issuers and housing providers. Students can log into Titan Web to print their Enrollment Certificate. By printing this enrollment certificate, students do NOT need to stop by the Registrar’s Office to obtain verification.


Q: How does a student obtain a verification of Graduation? 

A: If you have attended UW Oshkosh since Summer 2001, you can obtain an unofficial transcript from Titan Web. If you need an official transcript please see the information under Registrar’s Office. For other questions, please contact the Records Office at (920) 424-1199.


Q: What is an Academic Leave of Absence? (LOA)?

A: An Academic Leave of Absence (LOA) is granted to students whose enrollment at UWO is interrupted for one semester because of studies abroad or internships. The LOA guarantees the student an enrollment appointment date/time for registration of the next semester’s classes, consistent with dates assigned “continuing” students. If academic or disciplinary suspension occurs prior to the effective date of the leave of absence, the leave of absence is automatically canceled.

Eligible students can request an LOA application form online. The form should be submitted during the semester prior to the student’s absence.

Early Alert Information

The Early Alert Program provides a way for faculty to share vital information with students that are not demonstrating academic progress, meeting expectations and/or not attending class. Based on Progress Reports submitted in Navigate, students who need extra assistance are referred to academic resources such as tutoring, supplemental instruction, and the Academic Checkup program. The University is currently analyzing how students who receive an Early Alert follow up and if they receive help. The aim of the program is to provide students with information about their academic progress early enough in the semester so that they can utilize resources and adopt new strategies to improve their academic performance.

Early Alert was developed by faculty as a proactive way to address early academic concerns. Your participation in Early Alert provides essential information to students and contributes to student success.

Fall 2019 Early Alerts can be submitted between October 3-7. Instructors should complete the process in Navigate. Students will receive a notice for each class immediately upon submission by the instructor.

For more information about Early Alert contact Liz Whalley, Director of Academic Advising ( or Lisa Danielson, Registrar (

I have participated in the Early Alert system for the past several years for my Psych 101 (General Psychology) class. This is a large class (more than 200 students) and one in which students can easily “fall through the cracks.” I have found the Early Alert system to be quite effective in letting at risk students know that: 1) I have noticed that they may be struggling and 2) I care about their success at UW Oshkosh. Ultimately, I strongly encourage faculty to take the time (it doesn’t take long!) to complete the Early Alert system forms.

Quin Chrobak

Ph.D., Psychology Department

Early Alert FAQs

Q: What is an Early Alert?

A: Faculty Early Alert is a retention program.  It allows instructors to submit grade information after the 4th week of the semester in order to give students feedback about their performance early on so that academic behaviors can be adjusted if needed.

Faculty Early Alert is part of the University Assessment Plan. Our program was designed by faculty representing the four colleges and is based on national best practices.


Q: Why is the grading deadline so early in the semester?

A: National best practices indicate that students need feedback about their academic performance early in the semester (3rd to 5th week) in order to make the necessary adjustments to improve their grade in a given course. It allows for intervention to occur before a series of failures threatens the likelihood of academic success and persistence.

Data shows that students identified as struggling by the 3rd to 5th week of classes earn lower GPAs and are frequently not retained by the university. These students require early intervention in order to have a chance for success in higher education.


Q: Do I have to give a test to participate in Early Alert?

A:No. There are other ways to evaluate a students’ performance early in the semester for the purposes of Early Alert. These include; attendance/tardiness, missed/late assignments, lack of engagement in the classroom especially during small group work or class discussions. Instructors can also incorporate any of the Early Alert Assessment techniques described on the Provost’s website.


Q: How do I submit Early Alert grades? 

AComing soon!


Q: What happens when I submit my grade roster?

AComing soon!


Q: How are students informed about Early Alert?

A: Students who attend orientation and group advising sessions are informed about the Faculty Early Alert program. In addition, all students receive an e-mail about the Faculty Early Alert program a week before alerts are sent. Since many students do not read their e-mail on a regular basis it is important for instructors to tell students about the Early Alert program; what it is, when it will happen and what students need to do.

By discussing Faculty Early Alert in class you can emphasize the seriousness of the alerts and what students can do in response as well as increase the likelihood that students will follow up with you for specific suggestions for improvement.


Q: What do students do as a result of receiving an Early Alert?

A: This varies by student. Students are instructed in the e-mail to talk to their instructor as soon as possible about their performance issue and seek out academic support resources such as advising, tutoring or counseling. Students are more likely to take the alert seriously and utilize support services if their instructor talks about Early Alert in class.


Q: What else is done with the Early Alert information submitted by faculty?

A: Lists of students who received alerts are shared with a variety of support offices/staff on campus who reach out to students to offer support and guidance. Offices/staff that receive this information include; UARC, Student Support Services (SSS), Multicultural Retention Programs (MRP), Athletics/coaches, Dean of Students, Office of International Education and Residence Life.


Q: What if I do not submit a grade roster?

AComing soon!


Q: How do we know Early Alert helps students?

A: UW Oshkosh data shows that since Early Alert was implemented on campus the number of courses dropped after the start of the semester has decreased and the number of tutor requests has increased. Further, data shows that students who receive an Early Alert and participate in tutoring 3 or more times improve their overall grade in the course. We have also experienced a decline in the number of students on academic probation and suspension over the last 3 years.

National data show that Faculty Early Alert programs with the highest levels of faculty participation are most effective and there are numerous examples of campuses that experienced significant improvements in retention after implementing Faculty Early Alert programs.


Q: How is Early Alert different from midterm grades?

A: Faculty Early Alert is developmental whereas midterm grades are more informational. Because Faculty Early Alert takes place during the 5th week it gives students an early indicator of their performance, more time to adopt strategies for success and a greater chance of improving their overall grade.


Q: How can I support student success through Early Alert?


  1. Submit Early Alert Progress Reports during the grading period – dates are shared by e-mail several times each semester
  2. Tell students about Early Alert in class and what you expect them to do if they receive an alert from you
  3. Include a statement about Early Alert in your syllabus such as;
    “UW Oshkosh conducts an Early Alert program for all 14-week undergraduate courses to provide students with performance feedback early in the term so that appropriate action can be taken if needed. You will receive an e-mail regarding your course performance between (DATES). Please read the e-mail carefully and see me for help.”



Student Success Center, Suite 202
750 Elmwood Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901



Social Media




Contact Us

Phone: (920) 424-1268
Hours: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.