Major & Career Planning
Visit this UWO Career and Professional Development web page for help in connecting majors with careers. For each major that interests you, choose either the PDF or HTML version to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities. Choose Links to find a list of websites that provide information about listed majors and related careers.
Career & Professional Development, located in the Student Success Center, Suite 125, can help you learn what career options are associated with the majors that interest you. In addition to helping with job searches, resume and cover letter development, and interviewing techniques, Career & Professional Development can connect you with people in those fields for informational interviews and job shadowing experiences.
The Counseling Center, located in the Student Success Center, Suite 202, offers an array of services for deciding students including one-on-one counseling, a variety of in-depth career options and a career library which contains numerous books, computer programs and other resources students can use to collect information about thousands of careers.
Talk to your instructor! Use the UW Oshkosh Directory to find your instructor’s contact information. Go to office hours and find out about the major by learning what your instructor’s interests and skills led him/her to this major.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook (OOH) provides valuable assistance to help you make a decision on a future career. The OOH provides information on:
- the training and education needed
- expected job prospects
- what workers do on the job
- working conditions
Explore more about yourself while taking part in an amazing experience by studying abroad with the Office of International Education. Many opportunities are available without having to know a foreign language. Go for a semester, interim, or summer!
The Career Locker website can help you explore career options.
Here’s how to use it:
- Take an assessment(s) to see how your interests and skills match up with potential careers
- Meet with an advisor in the UARC to review your results and learn about majors related to careers of interest
- Read the detailed information provided for all of the occupations on your list; education required, pros and cons, salary ranges, job outlook, and where you can expect to work
- Save information you want to come back to in your “locker”
Registration Code: osh-c427
Other Exploratory Websites
UW Oshkosh Home Page:
- Link: http://www.uwosh.edu
- Link to Academic Advising, Academic Departments, Student Clubs/Organizations, Study Abroad, Career Services, etc.
Majors & Careers Central; CollegeBoard.com:
- Link: http://www.collegeboard.com/csearch/majors_careers/
- Easy to read major and career profiles and other helpful articles
Explore Health Careers:
All Allied Health Schools:
- Link: http://www.allalliedhealthschools.com/health-careers/health-science/
- Contains information on careers in the health and medical sciences.
- Link: http://www.mymajors.com/
- Major Information Pages link has good information about a variety of majors including; description of the field, specializations within the field, kinds of students who major in the field, courses these majors take, etc.
- Link: http://www.projectcareer.com
- Free interest inventory; provides 4 top career field matches
- Link: http://www.livecareer.com/?cobrand=CLEAR
- Free assessment; long, but has very thorough results including Holland Code, matching fields, etc.
Colleges & Careers; The Princeton Review:
- Link: http://www.princetonreview.com/college/default.asp
- Includes a career quiz to find out what careers match your work style and interest colors.
Discover Your Holland Code; Minnesota State CAREERwise:
- Link: https://careerwise.minnstate.edu/careers/assessmentsuite.html
- Free interest assessment that can tell you what your Holland Code is and related careers; 10-15 minutes to complete.
UW Oshkosh Majors and Holland Codes:
- PDF: Holland Code UWO Major Sheet
- View all of the UW Oshkosh majors along with their corresponding Holland Code and MBTI personality type.
World of Work Map; ACT:
- Link: http://www.act.org/wwm/
- Provides work categories based on Holland Code.
Career Exploration Tools and Resources; Live Career:
- Link: https://www.livecareer.com/resources/jobs/search/career-exploration
- Guide to both free and fee based online assessments, offers an exploration checklist for students.
Occupational Information Network:
- Link: http://online.onetcenter.org/
- Contains a Skills Search activity that allows students to identify their skills and match to potential occupations.
Career OneStop; Career InfoNet:
- Link: https://www.careerinfonet.org/select_occupation.asp?next=occ_rep
- Occupation information, industry information and state based information about growing fields, trends, etc.
- Link: http://www.careerplanner.com/
- Includes online career tests – for a fee – plus planning information, advice and ideas.
The Career Key:
- Link: http://www.careerkey.org/index.asp
- General information about career development, decision making and the Holland Theory, fee based assessments.
Kiersey Temperament Sorter:
- Link: http://www.advisorteam.com/temperament_sorter/register.asp
- Includes an assessment with a brief summary report – there is a fee for a more in-depth report.
Student Success Center, Suite 202
750 Elmwood Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901