We leave in 3 days so we thought it would be a great time to introduce ourselves and what we are doing for spring break 2018! Our names are Aubrey and Brooke, the bloggers for the Guatemala 2018 group.

aubrey

Hi Family and friends, my name is Aubrey Quarford! I am a senior here at UW Oshkosh Majoring in Human Servies with a minor in Social Justice. Im excited to have this opportunity to go to Guatemala, and can’t wait to share our experiences with you!

My name is Brooke Berrens. I am currently finishing my Master’s in Educational Leadership and Policy with a goal of working on a college campus advising students. This is my 3rd alternative break trip through UWO, but my first one abroad so I am very excited to expand on my adventures.

de la gente

When we get to Guatemala we will be staying at and working with the local organization De La Gente. De La Gente is a nonprofit that offers community tourism as a way to create a real cultural experience by encouraging interaction between visitors and local Guatemalans, as well as to supplement income for the farmers and artisans. We will climb a dormant volcano to pick coffee beans and then farmers will guide us through the rest of the coffee process. Another part of our service will be working on construction projects as well as varying educational activities. Our group is excited to be a part of this amazing opportunity to learn more about the world and what Guatemala has to offer!

We will keep you all posted after each day’s activities so you can see what we’ve been learning and doing while we’re away.