Select Page

Contact Us

Office: Swart 317
Phone: (920) 424-4406
Gina Schiavone, Academic Dept. Associate

Jobs and Careers


What can I do with this degree?


Teaching Research Administration

Universities/colleges/community colleges University research institutes or laboratories Campus museums

Ph.D. required for university and college faculty positions.

M.A./M.S. required for community colleges.

Earn a graduate degree in College Student Affairs for work in administration.

Gain experience assisting professors with research.

Maintain a high g.p.a and develop strong personal recommendations.


Management Curatorship Conservation Research Education Libraries Development

Natural History or History Museums:  Universities State, federal or local Private Archives

Graduate degree in anthropology, museum studies, library science (with an emphasis on archives) or other related discipline is required.

Obtain internship or volunteer positions to gain experience.



Cultural Resource Management Surveying

Site Management Excavation Research

Museum Conservation Legislative Compliance Review

Program Management and Evaluation Policy Analysis

Urban Planning

Federal Agencies:

Bureau of Indian Affairs Bureau of Land Management Central Intelligence Agency

Department of Health and Human Services Department of Housing and Urban Development Federal Bureau of Investigation

National Institutes of Health National Park Service Public Health Service Smithsonian Institute Tennessee Valley Authority

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

U.S. Department of State

U.S. Forest Service State Agencies:

Historic Preservation Offices Parks Departments

Highway Departments

Learn federal or state application procedures.

Graduate degree generally required for higher level positions.

Gain related experience through internships in areas of interest.

Develop statistical, analytical and computer skills and investigate research methodologies.

Get involved in campus organizations to develop leadership abilities and interpersonal skills.



Program management and development Policy analysis



Nonprofit organizations

Social service agencies

Hospitals and medical centers

Private foundations, e.g. The Ford Foundation International organizations, e.g. The World Health

Organization and The International Red Cross

Seek volunteer and internship positions to gain experience.

Hone skills in public speaking, writing, and program ming.

Obtain a degree in counseling for therapy positions


Administration/Management Advertising

Human Resources Public Relations Sales/Marketing Writing/Editing

Advertising agencies/departments Business firms

Consulting firms Publishers:

textbook, magazine, newspaper, book Retail stores

Develop practical skills such as computer expertise, written and verbal communication, project management, etc.

Earn a minor in business or communications.

Gain experience through internships, volunteer or paid positions.


Cultural Resource Management

Research/ Excavation

Consulting firms

Environmental/engineering companies

Firms specializing in archaeological investigation

Federal, state and local government

Field positions require a B.S./B.A. and previous field experience.

Obtain graduate degree to direct field crews.


  • Most professional anthropological jobs require a graduate degree.
  • Those interested in anthropology may specialize in one of its four branches: archaeology, cultural anthropology, linguistics, or physical anthropology.
  • Many subfields exist within the larger specialties such as forensic anthropology, a subfield of physical anthropology.
  • May need a willingness to travel and endure adverse living/working conditions during field studies or Working conditions and hours vary with the type of work/research performed.
  • As the demand for university/college faculty positions decreases, most openings will be in consulting firms and government agencies.
  • For jobs outside of academia, earn a degree in another field such as sociology, political science, law, medicine, business, urban planning, or public administration to increase employment opportunities.
  • Anthropology is good preparation for jobs that involve people skills and require an understanding of cultural differences.
  • Spend a summer in field school or travel and study other cultures.
  • Volunteer to help with a professor’s research.
  • Gaining relevant work experience through internships, practicums, part-time jobs, or volunteer positions is critical.

Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services, at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. (1996, Revised 2002) UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA Employer