Preservice Teachers at UW Oshkosh
- Student Teaching Options
- Professional Development
- Arts Integrated Lessons
- Teaching Beyond UW Oshkosh
ArtsCore Student Teaching Options are enhanced opportunities that place teacher candidates in select classrooms to collaboratively learn about and implement arts integration with ArtsCore supported cooperating teachers. Placements are in the Appleton or Oshkosh School Districts.
Highly qualified teacher candidates are interviewed by the districts prior to placement in schools.
Additional coaching and mentoring is provided by an onsite coordinator whose role is to observe, critique, and advise each student throughout the semester.
ArtsCore offers a Teacher in Residency (TIR) and a Student Teaching Internship (WIP).
Teacher Candidate Roles & Responsibilities for both Teachers In Residency (TIRs) AND Interns:
- Teacher candidate is mentored by a cooperating teacher (CT)
- Teacher candidate has common meeting and planning time with CT
- CT gradually releases more lead instruction, planning, and assessment to teacher candidate
- CT regularly observes, reviews, and assesses progress of teacher candidate and provides constructive feedback
- University supervisor observes teacher candidate four times throughout semester
- Teacher candidate has opportunities to observe quality instruction
- CT models classroom management strategies
- Teacher candidate CANNOT substitute teach
- Participate in all host teacher duties such as meetings, parent-teacher conferences, lunch/recess duties and scheduled in-service days.
- CT completes final evaluation and final narrative at the end of placement
Additional Teacher Candidate Roles & Responsibilities for Interns ONLY
- Teacher candidate holds intern license and is hired by district for a paid semester-long experience
- Teacher candidate can carry up to 50% caseload independently
- Principal is responsible for overseeing the placement and ensuring teacher candidate is receiving adequate support and common planning time with CT
- Teacher candidate and cooperating teacher can spend up to $250 on professional development or instructional materials for classroom
For information on TIR placement, please contact the ArtsCore office.
Current Internship Opportunities:
- Winnebago Area Literacy Council Arts Integration Internship – Job description here
- ArtsCore Paine Student Internship
To stay connected with ArtsCore upon graduation, click here to complete a short form.
To learn about professional opportunities for Early Career teachers, click here
For information on applying for teaching jobs in the Appleton Area School District, click here
For information on applying for teaching jobs in the Oshkosh Area School District, click here
To view current teaching vacancies on WECAN, click here