12 SI Leaders and over 150 peer tutors employed for academic year 18/19
989 students used tutoring services in academic year 18/19 for a total of 7472 visits
2207 students attended SI in academic year 18/19 for a total of 18,049 visits
Also known as CAR, the Center for Academic Resources is located in the Student Success Center, suite 102. We offer tutoring services for many of the 100 and 200 level courses on campus as well as small-group tutoring for Chemistry 101 and 102.
CAR offers students:
- A comfortable, inclusive, and supportive learning environment
- Trained peer tutors and SI Leaders who can assist students in making and reaching their academic goals
- A staff dedicated to student success who is always open to feedback and suggestions
The mission of the Center for Academic Resources is to provide students with high-quality innovative learning experiences that support undergraduate academic excellence, self-efficacy, student engagement, and successful completion of academic degrees.
Our key beliefs guide us in the services we provide and the approach we take for tutoring. They keep our students – both our clients and tutors – at the forefront of the tutoring experience and place an emphasis on the benefits tutoring can provide. It is our belief that attending tutoring and SI sessions:
- Serves students at all levels of preparedness and motivation
- Builds student academic confidence
- Supports in-class learning to help students become independent learners
- Provides an individualized experience that puts students in charge of their own learning
Benefits of Supplemental Instruction and Tutoring
- SI and tutoring can help students better understand how they learn, which in turn can help them become more successful in their academic studies
- SI and tutoring can positively affect understanding of material, completion of assignments, and confidence
- Students who utilize SI and tutoring on a regular basis benefit from consistent review of the material which may in turn have a positive affect on grades
Tutoring Survey Responses
- 87% of survey respondents stated their tutors helped them develop academic skills/study skills
- 91% would recommend their tutors to others
- 94% believe their grade has improved as a result of tutoring
SI Survey Responses
- 95% of survey respondents stated SI helped them with understanding the course content
- 60% indicated that attending SI helps them with using study strategies
- 61% agreed that attending SI increased their confidence level
Madison is so encouraging and an amazing tutor! She really cares about my understanding of the information and is very helpful at explaining concepts.
I’ve had Angela as an SI Leader for both semesters of my freshman year and she has not only made school easier but also helped me to get more comfortable with UWO.
Anna was great! I believe she truly understood the content and I enjoyed meeting with her every Monday. I saw significant grade improvements after going to her tutoring sessions.
Cassie knows the material and answers abstract questions, meaning she REALLY knows her stuff. Cassie makes sure that everyone is on the same page before she moves on, always taking time to ask if anyone needs extra help. She cares about us and she obviously cares about what we learn.
All tutoring through the Center for Academic Resources is based on the peer tutoring model. Below is an explanation of the model and what it takes to become a peer tutor.
What is peer tutoring?
Peer tutoring is a peer-mediated learning environment in which students serve as academic tutors in courses they have earned a high grade in at UWO. These students work with other students currently enrolled in the course to help them understand the course content, prepare for exams, and become more confident with the material.
Who are our peer tutors?
Peer tutors are students who:
- Have already taken the course and earned a B+ or higher in it at UWO
- Have received a recommendation from a professor who teaches the course
- Have established and maintained a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA at UWO
- Have completed 4.5 hours of tutor training prior to their first session
Student Success Center, Suite 102
750 Elmwood Ave
Monday-Thursday: 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Friday: By Appointment Only
Tutoring is online / in-person. SI will return in fall.