Get the most out of your career fair experience.
Before the Fair
Watch these great videos
Update your résumé
Update your Handshake profile
- Update your major (this will ensure your name tag prints what you want and not Undecided or Pre-Business undeclared)
- Students who complete their Handshake profile are 5 times more likely to be messaged by employers.
- Upload your resume and make your profile public.
- Remember to add work experience and organizations, too.
- Download Handshake Mobile to view employers on your mobile device
Prepare your Elevator Pitch
- Favorite companies in Handshake.
- Review companies attending the fair on Handshake – Events – search Career Fair you will be attending – View all Employers
- Pick the companies you want to visit. Study their company website or LinkedIn page.
- Take notes and prepare questions to ask recruiters. (“What do you like most about working at ABC Company?”)
Plan your professional dress wardrobe
- Visit the Career Closet – Student Success Center Suite 125 for four FREE items of professional dress each semester!
During the Fair
- Prioritize the companies your want to visit.
- While you’re waiting in line, study your notes and questions for the company.
- Greet employers with a smile, an acceptable handshake, and your elevator pitch.
- Ask questions to engage in conversations.
- When talking to a company rep, highlight key points on résumé.
- Ask the representative for a business card or their contact information.
- Thank the recruiter for their time.
- After you walk away, make notes about your conversation for follow-up after the fair.
After the Fair
- Make sure your voicemail is professional.
- Check your phone messages and email.
- Follow-up with a thank you message within 48 hours of the fair.
- Look for other opportunities to network with the employer on campus.
- Future Career Fairs
- Visits with student organizations
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN OSHKOSH
Career & Professional Development
Student Success Center, Suite 125
750 Elmwood Ave.
Oshkosh, WI 54901
- M–Th: 7:45 a.m.–5 p.m.
- F: 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Fond du Lac and Fox Cities Campus Solution Centers
- Wednesdays: 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Services only offered when classes are in session