Campus community,

This week, Gov. Scott Walker released his proposed budget for Wisconsin. I’m happy to report that UW System and Gov. Walker are on the same page, recognizing that it is time to reinvest in one of Wisconsin’s greatest economic engines.

Making higher education more affordable for more students and families is our top priority. While UW institutions–including UW Oshkosh–continue to concentrate on lessening time to degree, controlling costs outside of classrooms and searching for greater operational efficiencies, the Governor has proposed a tuition cut to accelerate UW Oshkosh students and their families along the path to a degree. I appreciate his commitment to our students and his pledge to fund the tuition cut.

The governor’s budget proposal also recognizes and invests in UW Oshkosh and the UW System as key drivers of state workforce talent, entrepreneurialism and leadership. It challenges our institutions to further develop the kinds of programs where UW Oshkosh is already a trailblazer, such as the model for delivering quality college credit courses to high school students in their local districts, our Cooperative Academic Partnership Program (CAPP). I look forward to working with UW Oshkosh students, faculty and staff to deepen our already profound local and regional impact.

There are many details in the proposal that warrant and will receive scrutiny over the next several months. I pledge to work closely with UW Oshkosh and UW System leadership, our regional legislators, the governor and our many advocates as this budget progresses through the process. I also pledge to keep you informed as I learn and understand more about the impact of this budget on our institution.

The governor will deliver his budget address, which will be broadcast live, today at 4 p.m.

Thank you,

Chancellor Andy Leavitt