Dear University community,
I want to take a moment to acknowledge the deep concern and uncertainty recent news of furloughs and workforce reductions at our university has brought to our community.
These truly are challenging times and we are facing difficult decisions that not only affect our institution but also the lives and livelihood of those who contribute so much to UW Oshkosh.
Many of you have shared with me your support for the changes ahead and your understanding that we must make them to do what is best for the institution and our students. I appreciate that. I also appreciate the many people who have shared their concerns and anxieties with me.
This email is the first of what will be weekly updates from me as we prepare for the 2023-24 academic year. Below also is an invitation to Convocation and Opening Day. As we did last year, we will split those events over two days. Provost Martini and I will discuss our university realignment plan efforts at Convocation on Aug. 31. Please RSVP to both events below.
This week, Provost Martini and I had our regular meeting with shared governance leadership. These meetings are scheduled weekly as we approach the new academic year. I appreciate your leaders’ availability, engagement and feedback as we move forward and enact the first elements of our plan. As of today, here is where we are and what is ahead next week:
- You can expect a detailed update from me next week regarding furloughs that begin in September, including an outline of a tiered structure—a breakdown of how we will assign the number of furlough days (0, ½ or 1 per pay period) based on salary levels. I thank you for your patience as we developed a proposed structure and shaped it with the guidance of shared governance leaders.
- We also are shaping our university realignment plan website as a resource to share and archive details and decisions ahead. We will create one place where you may access information on the Voluntary Retirement Incentive Options Program (VRIOP), furloughs, layoff and nonrenewal developments, related policies and processes and current and past communications. We will share a link with you when it’s ready, also likely next week. However, workforce reduction decisions are still a month or more away as we first must develop, collaboratively review and communicate decision-making processes. I know you need and deserve details as soon as possible, so I thank you for the time and understanding.
Convocation and Opening Day
As I mentioned above, I also want to share details and RSVP links for our Convocation and Opening Day Honors events. I hope you will join us in person; we also are developing live streaming links for your convenience.
– Convocation will be held at 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31, in the Reeve Memorial Ballroom. Provost Ed Martini and I will present an outlook for the year followed by a reception for faculty and staff, sponsored by the UW Oshkosh Foundation.
– At 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, we will host our annual employee honors and awards and years of service event at Culver Family Welcome Center. Come celebrate the achievements of your fellow faculty and staff members.
In a time of change, it is important to continue marking university milestones and traditions. I hope you will attend both of these events as we recognize our achievements over the past year, expand on our plans for the next several years and honor UWO dedication and excellence.
Chancellor Andy Leavitt
- Opening Day Convocation | 3 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31
Reeve Memorial Union | Ballroom 227 Chancellor Andy Leavitt and Provost Ed Martini will present an outlook for the year followed by a time of fellowship and appreciation of faculty and staff. The reception is made possible through the generous support of the UW Oshkosh Foundation.
- Opening Day Honors | 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5
Culver Family Welcome Center Join us for the annual employee honors and awards and years of service event at Culver Family Welcome Center. Help us celebrate the achievements of your fellow faculty and staff members.
If you are unable to attend in person, both events will be livestreamed. More details may be found at uwo.sh/openingday. Livestream links will be added as we get closer to the event dates.
Opening Day College Meetings
- College of Business: 10:30 a.m. – noon, Sage 1216
- College of Education & Human Services: 10:30 a.m. – noon, Clow North 151
- College of Letters and Science: 10:30 – 11:30 a.m., Culver Family Welcome Center Ballroom (also live-streamed)
- College of Nursing: 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Clow S101