Management and Human Resources
A Management major is a general business program for those who want a broad business education with an additional focus on the knowledge needed to be an effective manager. Management relates broadly to human, physical, and information resources and studies how to procure, use, and retain an optimal resource combination in an organizational setting.
This program covers all areas of business including accounting, finance, human resources, marketing, computer information systems, and operations management. The major emphasizes the application of teamwork, problem-solving, and critical thinking for decision making in a wider organizational setting.
Students Graduating with this Major Will
- Have the knowledge and tools to launch new business ideas
- Succeed in implementation roles in medium or large businesses
- Secure general management positions in family or small businesses
- Run a small business or keep career options open rather than being limited to one functional area such as marketing or finance
- Have the option of a general management major with a double major in a particular functional area in order to add value and have an excellent second expertise
Students Must Choose One or More of the Following
- Family Business/Entrepreneurship Concentration – provides students with the training and knowledge they need to launch new businesses, develop new entrepreneurial ventures within existing firms, or manage family businesses
- Project Management Concentration – students may become dedicated project managers, or may apply project management skills in other types of management positions
- International Business Concentration – allows students to take courses on the practice of management in a global context and to develop a global context and to develop a global mindset
Graduates with a degree in Business Management from UW Oshkosh have the potential to earn about $54,000 annually. National figures show comparative numbers between different majors:
|Major||Average 2018 Salary*|
|Management Information Systems/Business||$63,445|
*National Association of Colleges and Employers Salary Survey,2020 Winter Salary Survey
If you have any questions or comments about the management major please contact Ashay Desai at (920) 424-7269.