- Ph.D. Economics Michigan State University 1999
- MA Economics Michigan State University 1996
- BA Econmics and International Relations University of Minnesota 1994
Dr. Johnson's research focuses on the history of public economics and public choice, particularly as related to public goods and public policy decision-making. She currently serves on the editorial boards of the Journal for the History of Economic Thought and Oeconomica. Dr. Johnson recently finished a five year term as co-editor for Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology. Dr. Johnson is the secretary for the History of Economics Society and former president of the Wisconsin Economics Association.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Daughters of Commons: Wisconsin Women and Institutionalism. K. Madden and R. Dimand (Ed.). Handbook of Women Economists, 229 - 249. Routledge.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Rules vs. Authorities. Public Choice, 175(3-4), 219-228.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Institutionalism and Fiscal Policy at Midcentury. Journal of Economic Issues, 52(1), 103 - 116.
- Johnson, M., & Ballard, C. L. (2016). Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis: Birth, Growth, and Maturity. History of Political Economy, 49(5), 78 - 102.
- Johnson, M., & Kovzik, A. (2016). Teaching Comparative Economic Systems 25 Years after the Collapse of the Soviet Union. International Review of Economic Education, 22(May), 23-33.
- Johnson, M., & Kovzik, A. (2016). Comparative Economic Systems in the Undergraduate Curriculum: An Update. Journal of Economic Education, 47(2), 168 - 173.
- Johnson, M. (2015). Harold Groves, Wisconsin Institutionalism, and Postwar Public Finance. Journal of Economic Issues, 49(3), 691 - 710.
- Johnson, M. (2014). James M. Buchanan, Chicago, and Post War Public FInance. Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 36(4), 479 – 497.
- Johnson, M. (2014). Public Goods, Market Failure, and Voluntary Exchange. History of Political Economy, 46(5), 174 - 198.
- Johnson, M., Robson, D. A., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. (2014). A Meta Analysis of the Gender Gap in Performance in Collegiate Economics Courses. Review of Social Economy.
- Johnson, M. (2014). Progressivism and Academic Public Finance, 1880 - 1930. History of Political Economy 46 (1), 46 (1)(1), 1 - 32.
Awards and Honors:
Contracts and Grants:
- Economics in Transition (Albania) U.S. State Department, Fulbright Program External .
- Architects of the Postwar Tax System FDB Research .
- Developing Environmental Economics FDB Teach .
- Public Economics, Market Failure, and Voluntary Exchange FDB Research .
- The Gender Gap in Economics: A Meta Analysis College of Business COBA Summer .
- Internationalizing the Business Curriculum In and Out of the Classroom U.S. Department of Education; Business and International Education External .
- A New Model for Study Abroad Center for International Business Education Research (CIBER) External .
- GPA Bias and Biased GPA Data UW Oshkosh FDB Research .
- Paper Money and Morality UW Oshkosh FDB Research .
- Internationalizing Case Studies UW Oshkosh FDB Teach .
- Lecturing in Public Finance Fulbright Program, CIES External .
- Internationalizing Microeconomics with Case Studies Center for International Business and Education Reserach (CIBER) External .
- Curriculum Design for Peru Study Abroad UW Oshkosh FDB Teach .
- Charitable Crowd Out in Nonprofits UW Oshkosh FDB Research .
- American Physiocrats UW Oshkosh FDB Research .
- On-Line Math Reviews Aplia Publishing External .
- Remedial Math Tutorials for Economics UW System -- OPID External .