|Preferred Contact Method:|
|Preferred Contact Info:||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Day(s):||Online by appointment|
|Time(s):||email to set up a mutually acceptable time for a meeting (include course# in subject line).|
- Ph.D. Economics Michigan State University 1999
- MA Economics Michigan State University 1996
- BA Econmics and International Relations University of Minnesota 1994
Dr. Marianne Johnson is a Distinguished Professor of Economics at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. Her research focuses on topics in economic education as well as the history of public economics and public choice, particularly as related to public goods and the work of James Buchanan and Knut Wicksell. She also has an interest in the contributions of the Wisconsin Institutionalists. She currently serves as the secretary for the History of Economics Society. Her work has been published in the Journal of Economic Literature, Public Choice, History of Political Economy, Journal of the History of Economic Thought, American Journal of Economics and Sociology, and OEconomia. Dr. Johnson has been a Fulbright Scholar to Albania (2018) and Estonia (2015); she also spent a semester teaching at the Hochschule Osnabruck in Germany. She has taught for shorter periods in Senegal, Peru, France, and China. She received her PhD from Michigan State University and her undergraduate degree from the University of Minnesota.
- Johnson, M., & Kovzik, A. Keynes, Russian Economic Thought, and Contemporary Policy. The Independent Review, 26(3), forthcoming.
- Johnson, M., Engelhardt, B., & Meder, M. E. (2021). Learning in the Time of Covid: Some Preliminary Findings. International Review of Economic Education, 37(3).
- Johnson, M., & Meder, M. E. (2021). A Meta-Analysis of Technology Interventions in Collegiate Economics Classes. Journal of Economic Education, 52(1), 1 - 16.
- Johnson, M. (2020). Where Economics Went Wrong. Journal of Economic Literature, 58(3), 749 - 776.
- Johnson, M., & Dervishi, D. (2020). Isolation in Albanian Economic Thought. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology, 38(B), 111 - 130.
- Johnson, M., Artz, B., Robson, D. A., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. (2020). Taking notes in the Digital Age: Evidence from Classroom Random Control Trials. Journal of Economic Education, 51(2), 103 - 115.
- Johnson, M., & Desmarais-Tremblay, M. (2019). The Fiscal Policy Seminar: It's Early Stages. Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology, 37(C), 147 - 179.
- Johnson, M. (2019). Wisconsin Institutionalism, Public Persuasion, and Public Science. Oeconomia, 9(2), 265 - 287.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Daughters of Commons: Wisconsin Women and Institutionalism. K. Madden and R. Dimand (Ed.). Handbook of Women Economists, 229 - 249. Routledge.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Rules vs. Authorities. Public Choice, 175(3-4), 219-228.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Institutionalism and Fiscal Policy at Midcentury. Journal of Economic Issues, 52(1), 103 - 116.
- Johnson, M., & Ballard, C. L. (2016). Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis: Birth, Growth, and Maturity. History of Political Economy, 49(5), 78 - 102.
- Kovzik, A., & Johnson, M. (2016). Teaching Comparative Economic Systems 25 Years after the Collapse of the Soviet Union. International Review of Economics Education, 22, 23-33.
- Kovzik, A., & Johnson, M. (2016). Comparative Economics Systems in the Undergraduate Curriculum: An Update. Journal of Economic Education, 47(2), 168-173.
- Niendorf, B., Godfrey, M., Arbaugh, B., Johnson, M., Leisen Pollack, B., & Wresch, B. (2009). Research in Online and Blended Learning in the Business Disciplines: Key Findings and Possible Future Directions. Internet and Higher Education, 12(2), 71-87.
- Johnson, M. . Elinor Ostrom: Case Studies, an Academic Career, and a Nobel Prize. History of Political Economy Conference, Duke University (Virtual).
- Johnson, M. . Wicksell, Myrdal and Swedish Intellectual Thought on Inequality. Global Inequality Conference, Aarhus, Denmark (Virtal).
- Johnson, M. . Elinor Ostrom on Working Together. Invited Lecture Université Paris I Panthéon-Sorbonne, Paris (Virtual).
- Johnson, M. . Institutionalism, Economic Planning, and Economic Experts. Latin American Conference on the History of Economic Thought, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil.
- Robson, D. A., Artz, B., Johnson, M., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. . Live or Online Lectures: Evidence from Classroom Random Control Trials. Midwest Economic Association, St. Louis , MO.
- Johnson, M. . Rules Versus Authorities: Buchanan and Simons and Fiscal Policy. History of Economics Society Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Robson, D. A., Taengnoi Siemers, S., & Johnson, M. . The Gender Gap in Economics: A Meta Analysis. Western Economic Association International 86th Annual Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Robson, D. A., Johnson, M., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. . It's Not Who or How, But What is Taught: An Apologia for Poor Perfomance in Economics. Allied Social Science Association, San Fransisco, CA.
Awards and Honors:
- J. Ben Arbaugh Award for Research in Business and Economics Education (2020, May) UW Oshkosh.
- Thrivent Professorship (2011, May 1) College of Business.
- Penson Award (2008, May 27) University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
- Oshkosh Corporation Endowed Professorship (2007, July 10) Oshkosh Corporation Endowed Professorship.
Contracts and Grants:
- Economics in Transition (Albania) U.S. State Department, Fulbright Program External .
- Lecturing in Public Finance (Estonia) U.S. State Department, Fulbright Program External .