- Ph.D. Economics Michigan State University 1999
- MA Economics Michigan State University 1996
- BA Econmics and International Relations University of Minnesota 1994
Dr. Johnson's research focuses on the history of public economics and public choice, particularly as related to public goods and public policy decision-making. She currently serves on the editorial boards of the Journal for the History of Economic Thought and Oeconomica. Dr. Johnson recently finished a five year term as co-editor for Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology. Dr. Johnson is the secretary for the History of Economics Society and former president of the Wisconsin Economics Association.
- Johnson, M. (2019). Where Economics Went Wrong. Journal of Economic Literature, 57(4).
- Johnson, M., & Desmarais-Tremblay, M. (2019). On Musgrave’s Unpublished Reflections on the Fiscal Policy Seminar at Harvard. Luca Fiorito, Scott Scheall and Carlos Eduardo Suprinyak (Ed.). Research in the History of Economic Thought and Methodology, 37(B).
- Johnson, M. (2019). Wisconsin Institutionalism, Public Science, and Public Persuasion. Oeconomia.
- Johnson, M. (2019). Rules Versus Authorities: Buchanan and Simons and Fiscal Policy. Richard Wagner (Ed.). James M. Buchanan: A Theorist of Political Economy and Social Philosophy, 941 - 963. Palgrave Macmillan.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Daughters of Commons: Wisconsin Women and Institutionalism. K. Madden and R. Dimand (Ed.). Handbook of Women Economists, 229 - 249. Routledge.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Rules vs. Authorities. Public Choice, 175(3-4), 219-228.
- Johnson, M. (2018). Institutionalism and Fiscal Policy at Midcentury. Journal of Economic Issues, 52(1), 103 - 116.
- Johnson, M., & Ballard, C. L. (2016). Applied General-Equilibrium Analysis: Birth, Growth, and Maturity. History of Political Economy, 49(5), 78 - 102.
- Kovzik, A., & Johnson, M. (2016). Teaching Comparative Economic Systems 25 Years after the Collapse of the Soviet Union. International Review of Economics Education, 22, 23-33.
- Kovzik, A., & Johnson, M. (2016). Comparative Economics Systems in the Undergraduate Curriculum: An Update. Journal of Economic Education, 47(2), 168-173.
- Johnson, M. (2015). Harold Groves, Wisconsin Institutionalism, and Postwar Public Finance. Journal of Economic Issues, 49(3), 691 - 710.
- Johnson, M. (2014). James M. Buchanan, Chicago, and Post War Public FInance. Journal of the History of Economic Thought, 36(4), 479 – 497.
- Johnson, M. (2014). Public Goods, Market Failure, and Voluntary Exchange. History of Political Economy, 46(5), 174 - 198.
- Cotti, C., & Johnson, M. (2012). Teaching Economics Using Historical Novels: Jonathan Harr’s The Lost Painting: The Quest for a Caravaggio Masterpiece”. Journal of Economic Education.
- Johnson, M., & Meder, M. E. . Technology Interventions in Collegiate Economics Classrooms. American Economic Association Annual Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Johnson, M. . Lessons from Institutionalism on Planning and Keynesiansim. Latin American Conference on the History of Economic Thought, Federal University of Parana, Curitiba, Brazil.
- Robson, D. A., Artz, B., Johnson, M., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. . Live or Online Lectures: Evidence from Classroom Random Control Trials. Midwest Economic Association, St. Louis , MO.
- Johnson, M., & Dervishi, D. . Isolation in Albanian Economic Thought. Workshop for Economics in Authoritarian Regimes, Manchester University, UK.
- Johnson, M. . Public Finance Origins of Fiscal Policy. Center for the History of Political Economy Workshop, Durham, NC.
- Johnson, M. . Roundtable Dicussion Nancy McLean's Democracy in Chains. History of Economics Society Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Johnson, M. . Rules Versus Authorities: Buchanan and Simons and Fiscal Policy. History of Economics Society Conference, Chicago, IL.
- Johnson, M. . Wisconsin Institutionalism and Public Reason. Œconomia Symposium, Lausanne, Switzerland.
- Johnson, M. . Intellectual History of Public Choice. Public Choice Society Conference, Charleston, SC.
- Johnson, M. . The Economics Industry in Albania, 1980 - 2010. Socio–economic perspectives in the age of XXI century globalization, Tirana, Albania.
- Johnson, M. . Wicksell on Pareto: Unanimity, Efficiency, and Welfare. Erasmus Institution on Political Economy 20th Anniversary Conference, Rotterdam, Netherlands.
- Johnson, M. . “Dull, Unimaginative, and Extremely Limited” Becomes Modern Public Economics. History of Economics Society Annual Conference, Duke University.
- Johnson, M., & Ballard, C. L. . Computable General Equilibrium Models as Applied Economics. History of Political Economy Conference, Raleigh, NC.
- Johnson, M. . Wicksell, Pareto and Public Choice. Allied Social Science Association, San Francisco.
- Robson, D. A., Taengnoi Siemers, S., & Johnson, M. . The Gender Gap in Economics: A Meta Analysis. Western Economic Association International 86th Annual Conference, San Diego, CA.
- Robson, D. A., Johnson, M., & Taengnoi Siemers, S. . It's Not Who or How, But What is Taught: An Apologia for Poor Perfomance in Economics. Allied Social Science Association, San Fransisco, CA.
Awards and Honors:
Contracts and Grants:
- Economics in Transition (Albania) U.S. State Department, Fulbright Program External .
- Lecturing in Public Finance Fulbright Program, CIES External .