Human Services Leadership
Advanced Internship– 280 hours
Advanced Internship students (18-420 | 18-421 | 18-422 | 7 total credits) have completed program courses and are prepared through to function, as an entry-level worker within a human services organization. Advanced interns require a leadership component or role within their experience.
Advanced internship students may seek a site outside of the field placement directory which directly aligns with their professional objectives.
The course component of the advanced internship requires bi-weekly seminar attendance and written coursework.
Advanced Internship Learning Outcomes
- Describe the placement site’s organizational structure, mission and clientele, while acting in accordance with the site’s governing principles and regulations.
- Analyze practice-related issues and, utilizing relevant data and a conceptual understanding of the situation, develop effective problem resolution and intervention strategies.
- Display interpersonal communication skills at a professional level consistent with the Human Service profession’s conduct and ethical standards (CSHSE, National Standards) when interacting with clients, staff, and community.
- Demonstrate a sense of integrity by establishing a professional identity, including self-awareness and insight into personal strengths and areas for improvement.
- Use technology and information management skills to perform administrative aspects within a service delivery system.
- Exhibit Leadership ability, including but not limited to multi-level thinking, purpose-driven, resourcefulness, and advocacy, to perform as a leader in one or more aspects of Human Services work.
Advanced Internship Admission Criteria
- Completion of all Human Services Leadership required program courses (except 440 which may be taken concurrently)
- Submission of all application materials
- Minimum Human Services Leadership grade point average (GPA): 3.0
- Minimum University combined grade point average (Combined GPA): 2.75
- Current Criminal Background Check (CBC) (Wisconsin Statute 165.82)
- Enrollment in HS 420, 421 and 422 – Advanced Internship (280 hrs)
Tuberculosis (TB) test is required “only” if your placement agency requires it. If you need a TB test, please make arrangements with your own physician and provide a record of the TB test to the UW Oshkosh Health Center and to your agency.