Human Services Leadership
HSL Current Students
Field Experience Video Overview
General Criteria for Placement
- Orientation and training (approximately 10 hours) may be completed upon confirmation of site approval. Approval for extended training must be pre-approved by the HSL Field Placement Office.
- Placement hours may be completed upon confirmation of placement.
- Placement with a current or previous employer is generally not permitted; however, students may request being placed with a current employer. Please note: for consideration of your request, all hours and duties must be different than your normal work duties, the duties must advance the student’s skill set and the placement hours must be unpaid.
- Supervisory meetings between the student, agency site and the university supervisor are required.
How do I apply for Internship and Advanced Internship?
Students must submit an application in Tk20 by below dates.
The Field Placement Office will notify you by mid-November or early May (as applicable) of your admission status. You will be conditionally admitted or denied. You must maintain all grade point averages in order to be officially admitted. Check your Advisement Report now and be proactive in working to rectify any problems.
- If denied admission, you will be notified via e-mail detailing the reason for denial. If you are ineligible, you will be informed via your admission letter explaining your status. If any deficiency exists, your application will not be considered for the semester for which you have applied.
- You will receive official confirmation of your placement status and agency assignment from the HSL Field Placement Office via email at the conclusion of the fall or spring semester as applicable (January, June). Note: Sites will complete official documentation as required.
Internship (120 hours)
Approved study abroad trips satisfy requirements for HS-325 (Internship). An application for Internship is still required. The Office of International Education will require a copy of your Internship application along with your travel application materials.
Advanced Internship (280 hours)
Approved study abroad trips may count for 140 hours of the 280 required hours for Advanced Internship. An application for Advanced Internship is still required. The Office of International Education will require a copy of your Advanced Internship Application along with your travel application materials.
Alternate Spring Break trips may count for 40 hours of the 280 required hours. ASB students must notify the HSL Field Placement Office of ASB status to receive credit for the 40 hours. Verification of participation in an ASB trip from the Program Advisor for Volunteerism is required after completion of ASB trip.