Special and Early Childhood Education
Special Education – Graduate
The Department of Special and Early Childhood Education creates innovative partnerships with schools, families and communities in order to prepare special education professionals who:
- serve as caring intellectuals in working with students with disabilities and their families.
- possess the skills to function as effective collaborators (with students, families and professional colleagues), advocates and leaders in the school and community to enhance the lives of individuals with disabilities.
- honor diversity and support the inclusion and full participation of individuals with disabilities within a mainstream school and community settings to the maximum extent possible.
- are reflective practitioners striving to become lifelong learners continuously updating their knowledge and skills.
- base their professional decisions on empirical evidence.
- use problem-solving strategies to improve the effectiveness of educational planning, curricula and instruction.