College of Nursing
- - PhD, Nursing, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2018
- - BSN, University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, 2008
- - Licensed Registered Nurse, 2008
- - Basic Life Support Provider Certification, AHA, 2006
- - Self-management
- - Chronic illness
- - Health behavior
- - Bauer, W. S., & Schiffman, R. F. (2020). Factors influencing self-management of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease by community-dwelling adults. Western Journal of Nursing Research, 42(6), 423–430. https://doi.org /10.1177/0193945919865532
- - Mkandawire-Valhmu, L., Bauer, W. S., Stevens, P. E., Galvao, L. W., Grande, K. M., Yerges, A., Emer, L., Mwenyekonde, T., & Weinhardt, L. (2020). Rural Malawian women's resistance to systematic oppression, violence, and abuse by their husbands. Journal of Interpersonal Violence, 35(1-2), 268–293. https://doi.org/10.1177/0886260516682518
- - Yerges, A. L., Stevens, P. E., Mkandawire-Valhmu, L., Bauer, W., Mwenyekonde, T., Weinhardt, L. S., & Galvao, L. W. (2017). Women's narratives of living in polygamous marriages: Rural Malawian experience distilled and preserved in poetic constructions. Health Care for Women International, 38(8), 873–891. https://doi.org/10.1080/07399332.2017.1326494
- - Bauer, W. S., Erickson, J., Ellis, J., & Taani, M. (2020, April). Demystifying common data elements: What we have and what we need to advance family nursing. 44th Annual Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Schaumberg, IL. [Guaranteed symposium presentation and panel discussion].
- - Bauer, W. S., & Schiffman, R. S. (2019, March). Self-management experiences of community-dwelling adults with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 43rd Annual Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Kansas City, MO. [Poster presentation].
- - Bauer, W. S. (2018, September). Mapping the self-management experiences of community-dwelling adults with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease to the Individual and Family Self-Management Theory. Self-Management Science Center at UWM Monthly Meeting, Milwaukee, WI [Oral presentation].
- - Hook, M. L. & Bauer, W. S. (2017, April). Using a mixed-methods design to investigate adherence to evidence-based nursing practices in acute care. Kappa Pi Nursing Research Evening, Bellin College, Green Bay, WI [Poster presentation].
- - Hook, M. L., & Bauer, W. S. (2017, April). The impact of a technology-based innovation to support evidence-based patient education by nurses in acute care. 41st Annual Midwest Nursing Research Society Conference, Minneapolis, MN [Podium presentation].
- - Hook, M. L., & Bauer, W. S. (2016, December). Using a mixed-methods design to investigate adherence to evidence-based nursing practices in acute care. 9th Annual Conference of the Science of Dissemination and Implementation, co-hosted by the National Institutes of Health and AcademyHealth, Washington, DC. [Poster presentation].
- - Bauer, W. S., & Hook, M. L. (2014, May). Evaluating the impact of evidence-based patient education on patient knowledge and behavior in acute care: Conceptualization and tool development. Building Bridges to Research Based Nursing Practice, Milwaukee, WI [Poster presentation].
- - Social-media based content analysis of the use of civil liberties focused misinformation to promote vaccine hesitancy and denial during the COVID-19 pandemic. Faculty research stipend awarded by the Center for the Study of Institutions & Innovation, funded August 2020.
Award(s) and Honor(s)
- - Advanced Opportunity Program Fellowship Recipient (2012-2015) University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
- - Nancy A. Wright Memorial Fellowship Recipient (2011-2012) University of Wisconsin Milwaukee, College of Nursing