Director of Evaluation and Projects, Associate Professor
College of Nursing
- - PhD Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, FL, Nursing
- - MSN University of Phoenix, Phoenix, AZ, Nursing
- - BSN University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, Oshkosh, WI, Nursing
- - Diploma Madison General Hospital School of Nursing, Madison, WI, Nursing
- - Current: Registered Nurse licensure (State of Wisconsin)
- - Current: American Heart Association, Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers
- - Nurse Educator, Public Health
- - 2018 Nickasch, B., Lehr, M., Schmidt, B., Henne, T., & Wippich, C. Bridging the DNP-PhD divide: A mixed method study (in press)
- - 2017 Schmidt, B. & McArthur, E. [in Press]. Professional nursing values: A concept analysis. Nursing Forum. doi: 10.1111/nuf.12211
- - 2017 Schmidt, B. J., MacWilliams, B.R., & Neal-Boylan, L. Becoming inclusive: A code of conduct for inclusion and diversity. Journal of Professional Nursing, 33(2), 102-107.
- - 2016 Schmidt, B. J. Core professional nursing values of baccalaureate nursing students who are men. Nursing Ethics, 23(6), 674-684.
- - 2016 Hachfeld, L., MacWilliams, & B., Schmidt, B. Physical awareness a key to improving adolescent male health: A grounded theory study of the perception of testicular self-examination in male student athletes. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2015.10.024
- - 2015 Stewart, S., MacWilliams, B., Pinekenstein, B., & Schmidt, B. Wisconsin nursing education and nurse faculty: 2013 survey results. Wisconsin Center for Nursing.
- - 2015 Schmidt, B., & MacWilliams, B. Evaluating an accelerated nursing program: A dashboard for diversity. Journal of Professional Nursing
- - 2015 Bleich, M., MacWilliams, B., & Schmidt, B. Advancing diversity through Inclusive Excellence in nursing education. Journal of Professional Nursing.
- - 2014 MacWilliams, B., & Schmidt, B. Wisconsin Diversity Assessment Tool. Wisconsin Center for Nursing.
- - 2013 MacWilliams, B.R., Schmidt, B., & Bleich, M.R. Men in nursing. AJN, 1113(1), 38- 44.
- - 2010 Stewart, S., Pope, D., Jambunathan, J., Schmidt, B., Thyes, J., & Berthold, T., Implementing Second Life into an Accelerated Bachelor’s Degree to BSN program. Computers, Informatics, Nursing, 28, 5, 253-257.
- - 2010 Schmidt, B. Review of three qualitative studies of family presence during resuscitation. The Weekly Qualitative Report, 3 (4), 21-27, January 25.
- - 2010 Schmidt, B., & Stewart, S. Implementing the virtual world of Second Life™ into community nursing theory and clinical courses. Nurse Educator, 35, 74-78.
- - 2009 Schmidt, B., & Stewart, S. Implementing the virtual reality learning environment Second Life™. Nurse Educator, 34 (4), pp. 152-155, July/August.
- - 2018 Increasing the number of men in nursing. MacWilliams, B., Patterson, R., & Schmidt, B. Panel discussion webinar. University at Albany
- - 2017 Bridging the DNP-PhD Divide. Nickasch, B., Lehr, M., & Schmidt, B. Eta Pi Fall Scholarship Day. Oshkosh, WI
- - 2017 Men’s Health: A community perspective. Schmidt, B., & Mott, J. AAMN National Conference, Las Vegas, NV
- - 2017 Teaching evidence-based practice in nursing academia. UW Population Health Institute: Evidence-based health policy project. Menasha, Wisconsin
- - 2016 SIPP Grant Update: WI-DAT pilot results. MacWilliams. B. & Schmidt, B. Wisconsin Center for Nursing. Madison, Wisconsin
- - 2016 Best Practices Certificate-Online Teaching. Bradway, S. Hendryx, J., & Schmidt, B. UW Oshkosh.
- - 2015 WI-DAT: A set of evidence-based metrics for diversity and inclusion. Eta Pi chapter of Sigma Theta Tau. MacWilliams,B & Schmidt, B. Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- - 2015 Wisconsin Diversity Assessment Tool (WI-DAT). Wisconsin Nursing LEADS the PACC Diversity Collaborative. MacWilliams & Schmidt. Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- - 2015 Wisconsin’s Diversity Assessment Tool. MacWilliams & Schmidt. Future of Nursing Campaign for Action webinar.
- - 2015 Wisconsin Diversity Assessment Tool. NCSBN expert panel. Chicago, Illinois
- - 2014 Development of the Wisconsin Diversity Assessment Tool. Schmidt & MacWilliams. AAMN National Conference. St. Louis, Missouri.
- - 2014 Core professional nursing values as experienced by baccalaureate nursing students who are men. Sigma Theta Tau Fall Scholarship Day. Oshkosh, Wisconsin
- - 2013 Inclusive Excellence: A tool to create 21st century nursing leaders. MacWilliams & Schmidt. The Forum of State Nursing Forum Leaders Conference. Scottsdale, Arizona.
- - 2013 Men in Nursing. MacWilliams & Schmidt. UW-Oshkosh Social Justice Week, Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
- - 2012 Inclusive excellence: An evidence-based scorecard for gender diversity in nursing education. MacWilliams & Schmidt. American Assembly for Men in Nursing Conference, San Francisco, California
- - 2011 Advantages and pitfalls of high tech usage in an RN to BSN program. Blakeslee, T., Strojny, S., & Schmidt, B. WI TECNE E-Learning in Nursing Conference, Green Bay, Wisconsin.
- - 2009 Using Second Life in Online Nursing Education. Stewart, S., Schmidt, B., Duncan, & Thyes, J. NLN Education Summit. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- - 2009 Using the virtual platform of Second Life to enhance a community nursing course. Stewart, S. & Schmidt, B. State of Wisconsin, Division of Public Health 12th Annual Public Health Nursing Conference.
- - 2009 Using the virtual education platform of Second Life to enhance a community health course in an Accelerated Online Bachelor’s to BSN Nursing Program. Schmidt, B., Thyes, J. 8th Annual International Nursing Simulation/Learning Resource Centers Conference, St Louis, Missouri.
- - 2009 Second Life with nursing. S. Stewart, J. Thyes, D. Duncan, D. Pope & Schmidt, B. UW Oshkosh Passport2 Technology. Oshkosh, Wisconsin.
- - 2009 Changing the view of public health nursing through a Web-based interactive platform called Second Life. Stewart, S., Schmidt, B., Duncan, D. & Thyes, J. Wisconsin Community/Public Health Nursing Faculty Development Conference. UW-Madison.
- - 2016 Core professional nursing values as experienced by baccalaureate nursing students who are men. Schmidt. AAMN National Conference: Miami, FL.
- - 2015 Wisconsin Diversity Assessment Tool (WI-DAT). Schmidt & MacWilliams. AAMN National Conference: Minneapolis, MN.
Award(s) and Honor(s)
- - 2017 Sigma Theta Tau Eta Pi research award
- - 2016 AAMN Luther Christman Fellow
- - 2016 College of Nursing Professorial Excellence Award
- - 2014 Gene Tranbarger writing award: AJN Men in Nursing article
- - 2014 Sigma Theta Tau Eta Pi research award
- - 2013 APEX journalism award for Feature Writing: AJN Men in Nursing article
- - 2009 UW Oshkosh Scholarly Teacher
- - 2016 UW Oshkosh Faculty Development Grant. Professional Nursing values, Principal Investigator
- - 2016 IPEC Interprofessional Community-Based Education & Practice Key Investigator
- - 2014 Wisconsin Center for Nursing/Robert Wood Johnson-Diversity SIPP Grant
- - 2009-2011 Site Co-leader: WI Collaborative TECNE Grant (HRSA)