The College of Nursing uses a holistic admission process that identifies students who are the best fit for the Traditional BSN Program. Please follow the directions carefully to complete all steps of the application process.
Step 1 – Apply to the University
- Current UW Oshkosh students may skip to Step 2.
- A UW Oshkosh NetID will be issued to students upon admission to the University. A valid NetID is required before applying to the College of Nursing.
- Click here to apply to UW Oshkosh
Step 2 – Nursing Prerequisite Courses
The following courses must be included on the GPA calculation form when applying to the College of Nursing.
Science (minimum 4 out of 6 courses must be completed)
All science courses must include lecture and laboratory. If more than four science courses have been completed, GPA will be calculated using the four highest grades.
- Biological Concepts – Bio 105 or 230
- Anatomy Bio – 211
- Physiology Bio – 212
- Microbial Survey – Bio 233 or 309
- Chemistry – Chem 101 or 105
- Biochemistry – Chem 102 or 106
College English I
- WBIS 188 or ENG 101, 110, 202, 300, 310 or 312
Growth and Development
- Nursing 200, Psych 391 or Ed Foundation 377
- Psych 101, 102, 104 or 110
General Education (6 credits)
- Courses may be in any University Studies Program or General Education area
HU, ES, SS, NW, PE, MA, GE, NS, EN, XX, XK, XM, XC, XS, XL or any nursing elective
- General education fulfillments can not include other prerequisite courses listed above
These courses must be completed before starting in the nursing major unless an appeal and/or waiver has been provided and approved.
- Nursing 215 – Health Practices with Diverse Populations
- Nursing 105 – Introduction to Professional Nursing (must be completed at UW Oshkosh)
- Comm 111 – Speech Communication
- Remaining two science prerequisite courses (listed above)
- Students cannot repeat more than two of the nursing prerequisite courses.
- Only one of those repeats is permitted among required science courses.
- Students cannot repeat any required course more than once. This includes retaking a course to raise GPA.
- Students exceeding these limits are not eligible to apply to the College of Nursing.
Step 3 – Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
The TEAS is a standardized nursing admission test designed to assess a student’s preparedness for health and science majors.
- Completed TEAS results must be submitted with College of Nursing application. If a student has not yet taken the TEAS, then examination date and verification of registration must be supplied.
- Study guides and practice exams are available at the Polk Library circulation desk on reserve. They may also be purchased through University Books & More or the ATI website.
- Passing scores are based on the current national average. Individual subject scores are taken into consideration as well as the overall score.
- Registration fee must be paid out-of-pocket through the ATI website.
- The TEAS exam is available through UW Oshkosh (preferred) or a PSI remote testing center (if the student lives in a distant location).
- UW Oshkosh offers multiple test dates throughout the year. There is no limit to the number of times an applicant may take the exam. See the registration link below for specific testing dates and times.
- Select “Register for TEAS”
- Select “Wisconsin”
- Select “Oshkosh”
- Select desired test date
- If Oshkosh does not appear, this means dates are not yet posted for the upcoming application cycle
Step 4 – Apply to the College of Nursing
Part A | Applicant Contact Information
- Check for accuracy before submitting. All fields are to be completed or marked N/A if they do not apply. Once submitted, the form cannot be retrieved.
Please complete all sections of the application form and submit by the application deadline.
Deadline for spring semester: Aug. 30
Deadline for fall semester: Jan. 30
- Review the standard and year-round program options to determine which option you would like to apply for.
Part B |
Prepare all required document before starting the form. All fields are to be completed or marked “none” or “N/A” if they do not apply. Once submitted, the form cannot be retrieved.
Access the application form here: Traditional Bachelor of Science in Nursing Application
- TEAS Score – Upload test results or proof of test date. The adjusted individual total score must be at or above the national mean (65.6%)
- GPA Calculation Form
- Unofficial Transcript – highlight courses used in the Nursing GPA
- UW Oshkosh Student Disclosure Form *Only for students enrolled at the Oshkosh, Fond du Lac or Fox Cities campus of UW Oshkosh.
- Background Information Disclosure Form
- Transfer Student Disclosure Form * Only for students outside the Oshkosh, Fond du Lac or Fox Cities campuses of UW Oshkosh.
- CNA Certification
- 4 Required Essays *upload in one document to include all 4 essays
- Follow these guidelines for all essays
- One page limit for each item (A – D)
- Double space with one inch margins
- Use 12pt. Times New Roman
- Include your full name and essay title on top of each page
A. Personal Statement
The vision of the College of Nursing is to develop caring and scholarly nurse leaders who positively impact contemporary and future health care. With this in mind, why do you want to be a professional nurse and what gifts/talents will you bring to the profession?
B. Activities Reflecting a Service Orientation [volunteer work]
Describe the impact that your volunteer work (family, campus, community, or country) had on your life. If you are/were a collegiate athlete or military experience include it here. If you were involved in a service trip, include it here.
C. Experience with Diversity
Describe the impact that your experience working with diverse groups or individuals had on your life. Diverse people may include race/ethnicity, sexual orientation/identity, economic disparity and generational factors, veteran’s status, or non-traditional students with diverse life experience.
D. Diversity and Overcoming Challenges
Please give an example of a personal experience with overcoming a challenge or barrier.
Optional Documents (If Applicable)
- Appeal ~ upload approved appeal response letter
- Optional Information Essay ~ Follow Essay parameters above
- Please tell us anything else you think we need to know about you and consider in the admission process. If you have any positive findings on your background check, criminal record, policy violations, or conduct cases from Oshkosh, other cities or municipalities, or University Police, Dean of Student’s Office, Residence Life, etc. please add an explanation for the Academic Standing Committee. This will, along with the rest of the application, remain confidential.
Step 5 – Criminal Background Check
- Deadline to complete Background Check is one week from date application was submitted.
- After the application form has been submitted, purchase the tracker: UC29_Background Check
- Criminal background check fees are considered an out-of-pocket expense to be paid by student.
- Results of criminal and campus background checks comply with standards required for clinical placement.
Step 6 – Admission Interview
Eligible students will receive an email to register for an interview.
Students admitted into the College of Nursing will incur additional costs above and beyond tuition, room/board, and books, including equipment, assessment, CPR/Health expenses, lab fees, clinical fees, technology fees, transportation to clinical, computers, and others. First semester (Sophomore II) costs are approximately $5,800 and subsequent semesters vary from $500 – $2,000 per semester and are subject to change. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA annually in addition to applying for scholarships and grants. Contact your Financial Aid Counselor with questions.
College of Nursing
Clow Social Science Center
800 Algoma Blvd.
Oshkosh, WI 54901