The Counseling Center will be providing all counseling services through tele-mental health. We remain with you to assist to Flourish at UWO!
Counselors at the Counseling Center understand that career development is far more than deciding on a major. Rather, career development is a lifelong process that is influenced by a person’s interests, abilities, values, personality, background and circumstances. Counselors at the Counseling Center will help you explore to better understand yourself and the world of work to help you make career, educational, and life decisions.
What can I expect?
You will be asked to complete the O-net Interest Profiler prior to your intake appointment.
At the intake appointment, your counselor will interpret your results of the O-net Interest Profiler.
Your counselor will help you figure out who you are and what you want out of your education, career and life. They will help you identify influencing factors to career development, as well as help you assess your interests, abilities and values. Counselors will also help you locate resources and sources of career information. Your counselor will also assist you in determining your next steps and help you develop a plan to achieve your goals.
Your counselor will never tell you what to do or tell you what major or career you should pursue.
Call the Counseling Center at (920) 424-2061 to schedule an appointment.
Are you exploring what major is right for you?
Career Indecision is a common challenge that many college students face. In fact, according to the US Department of Education longitudinal study from 2011-2015, roughly 33% of college students in a 4 year college changed their major at least once prior to graduation. Experiencing challenges related to deciding on a major or career can sometimes lead to increased thoughts of worry, lower mood, and even a lower self-image or lower self-confidence.
The Counseling Center recognizes that career indecision can weigh heavily on students and is offering the following services to meet student’s needs.
These links are designed to assist with your decision making pertaining to choosing a major. The Counseling Center is here to assist you in your career counseling and decision making process. Start by exploring with the My Next Move Assessment and the following links. If you would like to schedule a tele counseling appointment please call the Counseling Centers main number at 920-424-2061.
Step 1: Take a Career Assessment
- The O-Net Interest Profiler is a short (20 minutes) assessment that will compile a student’s interests and consider the amount of education and training they are willing to engage in; to provide guidance into potential career paths.
- Click the link to take the Interest Profiler: https://www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip
- Tutorial for My Next Move
- Career Planning Page
Step 2: Do your research
- Explore the results of your interest profiler using O-net online. Type in each career to learn employment trends, salary, skills needed, education needed, etc. to help you weigh your options
- Click the link to access O-Net Online: https://www.onetcenter.org
- Conduct an informational interview with professionals in the career fields you are interested in.
- Example of a sample informational interview
Step 3: Clarifying Values
- As you explore your interests it is also important to remember what values are important to you in your career choice.
- It is important to remember to consider work culture as you reflect on what would be a good career match.
Step 4: Consider Personality Characteristics
- Do you prefer to work alone or in groups?
- Do you prefer to lead or follow or work as part of a team?
- Do you prefer to work inside or outside?
Step 5: Identify Skills
- What types of skills do you currently have and could use in a career?
Career Exploration Resources
UW-Oshkosh Undergraduate Advising Resource Center
2nd floor of Student Success Center, Suite 202
Assistance with choosing and applying for a major
Assistance with academic planning
UW-Oshkosh Career and Professional Development
1st floor of Student Success Center, Suite 125
- Assistance with mock interviews
- Informational Interviews
- Professional Career Locker
- Assist with resources and job search