Develop a life style that will buffer against the effects of stress.
Tips or rules to live by
- Regularly practice some form of each of the following types of exercise: vigorous, stretching, and recreational.
- Engage regularly in some form of systematic relaxation.
- Use alcohol in moderation or not at all.
- Do not use tobacco.
- Obtain sufficient rest on a regular basis.
- Maintain your recommended weight.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Avoid caffeine.
- Pay attention to what types of foods help you feel and function your best, and add them into your diet more often.
- Plan your use of time on both a daily and a long-term basis.
- Seek out variety and change of pace.
- Take total responsibility for your life.
- Maintain an optimistic attitude.
- Find a holistic physician, undergo laboratory test to establish a physiological base line, and plan for improving your wellness.
- Do not dwell on unimportant matters.
Taken from Understanding and Managing Stress, John D. Adams, University Associates, San Diego, California, 1980