Student Assistance

The Dean of Students Office strives to provide assistance for students in need.

Advocacy Meetings

If you are encountering a problem and you are not sure where to turn, contact the to the Dean of Students Office.  Whether it is an issue in a class or a problem with your landlord, we can help with support and advocacy.

Bias Incident Report

The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh is committed to fostering an inclusive environment where every member of our community is respected and valued. Whenever an instance of bias occurs we encourage the filing of this report so that the situation can be addressed.  If you choose to share your name, a UW Oshkosh staff member will follow up with you as soon as possible.

Medical or Late Withdrawal/Late Drop from Coursework

  • If a severe circumstance impedes a student’s ability to be academically successful, the Dean of Students Office processes Late Withdrawal/Late Drop coursework requests based on the following reasons:
  • Medical emergency
  • Family emergency
  • Mental health emergency or problem
  • A severe personal problem or situation that has resulted in counseling or other professional services received prior to submission of appeal
  • Link to UW System Administrative Policy 807 for Medical Withdrawal Policy
  • The directions to complete the process along with the form can be found here.
  • Medical withdrawal refund schedule can be found here.
  • If you do not specifically need Medical or Late Withdrawal, visit the Withdrawal and Cancellation page.

Out of Class Letters

The Dean of Students office does not provide out of class letters. However, if you need assistance connecting with your instructor regarding why you missed a class, please let us help you open that line of communication between you and them.

Below are some additional resources that may be helpful to you in the meantime:

  1. If this is a medical/health related concern, we would encourage you to call your health provider or UWO Health Center at (920) 424-2424 and schedule an appointment or talk with a triage nurse.
  2. If this is a mental health related concern, we would encourage you to connect with your professional counselor or UWO Counseling Center at (920) 424-2061.
  3. If your absence is related to a temporary or permanent disability, please contact the Accessibility Center at (920) 424-3100 or for information on how to register for accommodations.  
  4. If this is an emergency, please call the UW Oshkosh Police at (920) 424-1212.

Support | Food and Supplies

Food Pantry:  Food insecure (low in funds and in need of food)

Supplies Closet Students with low funds or in need of everyday necessities, i.e. shampoo, deodorant, razors, toothbrush, etc.)

Student Care Team

  • The Student Care Team (SCT) is a network focused on prevention and early intervention for students who are experiencing distress.  SCT meets on a weekly basis to coordinated care for students and provide the assistance necessary to ensure that they are both personally and academically successful.
  • The SCT is chaired by Houa Xiong, Assistant Dean of Students.

Dean of Students Office

Visit us at the Oshkosh campus
Dempsey Hall 125, Monday-Friday, 7:45 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
(920) 424-3100