To qualify as a gift to the institution, it must meet all of the following criteria. Any gift that does not meet all five criteria will be classified as a grant or contract subject to the assessment of indirect costs.
- Funds provide general, unrestricted support for broadly defined activities in one or more program areas, such as research, public service, instruction, fellowships/traineeships, etc.;
- Detailed reports are not required–neither periodic or final, nor fiscal or technical. (The principal investigator may provide the donor with a brief statement that the expenditures were in accord with the intent of the gift);
- No provisions (delays, advance notice) are imposed by the donor concerning publication of data and information derived from the activity;
- There is no specific time limit on the expenditure of funds; and,
- Rights to any patent/copyright are not retained by the donor.
Accepting Donations to UW Oshkosh Flow Chart