Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Direct Lending

Who can I contact if I have questions about Direct Loans?

Call the U.S. Department of Education Direct Loan Program customer service line at (800) 433-3243 or visit the following websites:

General Direct Student Loan Information

General Direct PLUS Loan Information


What if I am planning to take classes outside of UW Oshkosh?

You may be eligible for financial aid for taking classes outside of UW Oshkosh. General guidelines require for the classes to be transferable to UW Oshkosh and count towards your degree.

For more information, please contact the Financial Aid Office.

Where can I find answers to my general Financial Aid questions, unrelated to UW Oshkosh?

Visit the FinAid! website. Also, you may find other financial aid guide resources listed on our “Resources” page.

Do I report Financial Aid to IRS?

We encourage students and parents to consult with a professional tax specialist about the questions regarding income taxes and reportable income. The following are some general guidelines:

  • Loans: Student and PLUS loans are not reported on the taxes. However, your paid student loan interest may be tax deductible. Consult a professional tax specialist or visit the IRS website for more information.
  • WorkStudy: Work-Study counts as income if a student worked or received work-study wages, which results in a W-2 form sent to a student by his/her employer.
  • Scholarships and Grants: Amounts used for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses (for example, room, board, travel, etc.) must be reported as income. See Form 1040 instruction book (page 19) or the IRS website for more information.
Who should I contact if I have more questions?

If you have more questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office.