Select Page

Frequently Asked Questions

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)


General Questions

What is the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

The Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is defined as proceeding toward successful completion of degree requirements. The UW Oshkosh Financial Aid Office is required by federal regulation to determine whether a student is meeting the requirement. The official record of the UW Oshkosh Registrar is reviewed to determine student compliance with this policy.

What are the requirements for SAP?

Students must meet the following requirements in order to meet SAP and receive financial aid:

  • Achieve minimum cumulative UW Oshkosh GPA of 2.0 or better
  • Complete at least 67% of cumulative credits attempted (for financial aid purposes, any credits in which the student is enrolled after the financial aid census date count as attempted. To view the census date, please view Important Dates)
  • Complete the program within 150 percent of required credits (180 credits for first-bachelor’s degree students; 225 credits for second-bachelor’s degree students). All graded coursework will be counted, including transfer units, repeats and withdrawls.
What counts as an attempted credit?

For financial aid purposes, attempted credits are those that the student is registered for as of the financial aid census date. At this point, students’ credits are “locked” for financial aid purposes. This date is different from the last day to add or drop courses as administered by registration.

To view the financial aid census date, please view Important Dates.

How will I know my SAP status?

A letter is sent via email as a courtesy to all undergraduate students after SAP evaluations have occurred. This email directs the students to TitanWeb where they may view their SAP status:

  • From your Student Center homepage, under the Finances section, click on “View SAP Status”
  • Click on the current term
  • Review your status for each of the SAP requirements listed
What is a Financial Aid WARNING?

Students are placed on financial aid SAP warning after one semester of not meeting the minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and/or cumulative credit completion of 67%. Students placed on warning must meet all SAP requirements during that semester. If a student does not meet these requirements at the end of the semester, he or she will be ineligible for financial aid for the next semester.

Financial aid WARNING cannot be appealed.

Can I still receive Financial Aid while on warning?

Yes. You may receive federal aid for the semester in which you are on warning if you are otherwise eligible for aid.

I see a hold on my TitanWeb account. Can I still register for classes while on warning?

The hold does not impact your enrollment status. You may still register for classes while “on warning” for financial aid.

Why am I not making SAP even though I have no failing grades?

The Financial Aid Office is required to include all credits a student has attempted – including dropped, repeated, reprieved, remedial or withdrawn courses on a transcript – in consideration for financial aid. Although dropping a class may help your GPA, a dropped course after the financial aid census date is still considered as an attempted course for determination of SAP.

How can I return to good SAP standing?

If a student on financial aid WARNING, or one who is not meeting SAP requirements, meets all SAP criteria during the warning or ineligible semester, he or she will return to good SAP standing for the following semester and will again be eligible for financial aid.

Students who have an approved SAP appeal who meet all SAP requirements in the subsequent semester will also return to good SAP standing.

Not Meeting SAP Criteria Questions

What happens if I am not meeting SAP requirements?

Students not meeting SAP requirements will not have future aid disbursed until they are once again meeting SAP requirements.

Is not meeting SAP requirements the same as academic suspension?

No, academic suspension from the University is monitored by the Undergraduate Advising Resource Center (UARC). If you are unsure of whether or not you are on academic suspension at UW Oshkosh, contact UARC. Financial aid suspension applies only to your financial aid.

What aid is affected by not meeting SAP requirements?

All federal and state aid is affected.

I am not meeting SAP requirement but I still see my Financial Aid Award. Does that mean I will receive it?

No. Your financial aid award will be canceled before the beginning of the semester.

SAP Appeal Questions

How can I regain eligibility for Financial Aid?

You must submit a completed 2017-2018 Undergraduate Student SAP Appeal. This appeal should address the following:

  • WHAT issue caused you to not meet SAP standards?
  • WHEN did this occur?
  • HOW is the issue being resolved?
  • WHY will this not be an issue again in the future?

It is HIGHLY recommended that you submit supporting documentation with your appeal. Failure to provide this information may result in your appeal being denied.

Do I have to be admitted or enrolled to appeal my Financial Aid?

No. You do not have to be currently admitted or enrolled to appeal your financial aid suspension.

Can I appeal my Financial Aid suspension if I am on academic probation or suspension?

No. If you are academically suspended from UW Oshkosh, you cannot appeal your federal aid suspension. Once you have been academically reinstated to UW Oshkosh, you may submit an appeal for your federal aid suspension.

How is my appeal decision determined?

Once you have submitted all required appeal documentation, your appeal is considered by the Financial Aid SAP Appeals Committee. All decisions reached by the committee are final.

How will I be notified of the committee's decision?

A notification of the committee’s decision will be sent to your UWOSH email address.

When will I be contacted by the committee?

Please allow up to two weeks after submitting an appeal for initial contact from the SAP appeal committee.