As a transfer student at UW Oshkosh, you may or may not receive the same type or amount of aid that you were awarded at your previous institution.
Financial Aid does not simply transfer from one school to another.
To apply for aid through the Financial Aid Office at UW Oshkosh, transfer students should complete the following steps:
Applying for Financial Aid
Step 1: Apply for Admission to UW Oshkosh
To apply for admission at UW Oshkosh please fill out the application here.
Step 2: Complete and submit the FAFSA
File the FAFSA here.
- If you did not apply for Financial Aid at your previous institution, as soon after Jan. 1 as possible, complete the FAFSA. Be sure to list UW Oshkosh on your FAFSA
- If you have previously completed a FAFSA, you will need to make sure that UW Oshkosh is included on it. UW Oshkosh’s school code is 003920
Step 3: Receive and Review the Student Aid Report
After processing your FAFSA, the Department of Education will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR). SAR summarizes the information you submitted on FAFSA. In addition, SAR contains comments alerting you of any incomplete information required for processing your FAFSA.
It is very important to review SAR carefully — incomplete information will prevent UW Oshkosh from awarding your Financial Aid package.
If all the information on your SAR is correct, you do not need to return it. If your FAFSA information is complete, you will find an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) printed in the upper right hand corner of your SAR. UW Oshkosh will use the EFC to award your financial aid package.
If your FAFSA information is incomplete, you may mail the corrections to the address mentioned on your SAR or log onto the FAFSA Web site (you will need a PIN) to make the corrections online.
Step 4: Complete Verification Information
After your FAFSA information is completed and processed, the federal government may randomly select your FAFSA for a verification process.
If selected, UW Oshkosh’s Financial Aid Office will request additional student and/or parent information. You will be notified of the request for information via an email (please see the University E-mail Policy in the appropriate undergraduate bulletin) or letter from our office. You will also have a “To Do List” on Titan Web.
Some of the documents requested may be:
- Verification Worksheets (dependent or independent)
- Federal Tax Return Transcripts for student/parent or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
- Copies of student and/or parent W-2 forms
- Additional documentation depending on an individual situation
It is important to provide the requested documents in a timely manner. Once all of the requested information is returned to our office, the counselors will review the documents and follow up if any addition information is needed.
Please be patient, as it takes time for our counselors to process the data.
After the verification process is complete, the student will be awarded a financial aid package.
Don’t forget to:
- Notify your previous school that you are transferring to UW Oshkosh
- Respond in a timely manner to requests for information from UW Oshkosh’s Financial Aid Office