Fox Cities Campus
The nearest bus stop to the Fox Cities campus is located on the south side of Midway Road.
Learn more about Valley Transit
What a better way to not only “go green,” but also be healthy! No-emissions travel is a movement for people to start taking small steps towards using cars less and using other means of commuting such as biking or walking. The Fox Cities campus is a commuting campus with well over 1,200 students driving to campus from one to five times a week. Choosing no emission commuting is a simple way to make a difference.
Our campus would supports sustainability by providing bike racks at all major entrances to make it easier for students to bike to campus. Benefits to biking, rollerblading or even walking to school helps not only with emissions and spending less money, but it also improves personal health and wellness through the moderate daily exercise. In addition, the Fox Cities campus is looking to partner with some area bike shops to offer discounts for those that are looking to purchase a bike. Stay tuned for more details! Benefits to biking, rollerblading or even walking to school helps not only with emissions and spending less money, but it also improves personal health and wellness through the moderate daily exercise.
Reasons to Bike
Five Reasons to Take Out Your Bike:
- The average person loses 13 pounds their first year of commuting by bike.
- 40% of all car trips in the U.S. are made within 2 miles of home.
- 60% of the pollution created by autos happens in the first few minutes of operation before pollution control devices can work effectively.
- Just 3 hours of biking per week can reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke by 50%.
- The U.S. could save 462 million gallons of gas a year by boosting bicycle trips just half a percentage point: from 1% to 1.5% of all trips.
- Ride a simple bike that you are comfortable with riding.
- Wear a helmet.
- Check your bike’s tire pressure prior to any ride. Most gas stations have free air you can use to ensure you’re ready to hit the road.
- Plan your route in advance using Google maps or with mapmyride.com
- Use bike lanes when they exist.
- Ditch the iPod and headphones to allow you to be alert while riding.
- Be visible and wear bright colors during the day and something reflective at night.
- Be predictable and ride on the correct side of the road and not against traffic. Look around before turning and use hand signals.
Bicycle Equipment and Servicing
Dressing the Part
While some bikers may break out the spandex, there is no need for your ride to campus! You don’t need special clothes, talents or biking gear to ride your bike to school. A few investments would be a helmet for safety and pant guard or ankle strap, which you wear near your ankle to protect your pants from brushing against the chain.
Area Bicycle Shops
Recyclist Wheel & Sprocket Play it Again Sports Neenah Bike Scheels Sports Looking for more information? Try the following link if you wish to learn more about gearing up, local bike commuting resources, other green bike products, and many other tips and tricks about green transportation.
Rideshare is the shared use of a car by the driver and one or more passengers, usually for commuting. Carpooling arrangements and schemes involve varying degrees of formality and regularity. Formal carpool projects have been around in a structured form since the mid-1970s.
Why should we use Rideshare?
- Gas is expensive
- Costs are higher due to wear and tear on your vehicle’s engine and parts
- Driving is often stressful
- Socializing is good for you
- Oil imports cause trade deficits
- Car exhaust is the leading contributor to climate change
- Helps you and helps someone else
Erideshare.com allows employers, schools, events, religions, clubs, and parents find potential ride matches. Just type in your zip code and start looking. We would like to utilize a discussion board for rideshare on the Fox Cities campus Transportation web link to allow students and staff to post thoughts and have conversations on the pros/cons of an online rideshare site.
- It’s secure – your personal information is protected
- High precision trip matching helps you find the best carpool matches available
- Find co-workers, neighbors and friends for carpool
- Allows you to plan ahead or use on-demand
- Track CO2 savings through Icarpool
- Allows you to track your monetary savings through Icarpool
- Completely Free
Rideshare, Etc Online is a rideshare matching service which allows commuters to quickly find transportation options for carpooling, vanpools, transit, park and ride lots, and bike routes. Information provided to you is based on the choices you make when you register. For carpooling or vanpooling, the match report will show individuals with similar commutes and work hours.