Scholar & Arts
In coordination with Storycatchers, BoomARTS & the UWO Fox Cities Scholar Arts Series presents:
Live Storytellers Event
Theme: Sage Advice
October 28, 2023
UWO Fox Cities
1478 Midway Road, Menasha
CALL FOR STORYTELLER SUBMISSIONS!
The theme of the night is sage advice. What was the best advice you ever got–or gave? Who has been an unexpected guiding light in your path? What so-called sage advice do you wish you had IGNORED?! What advice do you wish you had received but didn’t, and why?! All this and more are welcome–we welcome loose interpretations of a theme.
Submission Deadline: October 22nd
Submit your poem, story OR 1-min recorded pitch to:
Tips for Interested Tellers:
- You DO NOT need to be a professional poet or storyteller, or even have told a story in public before.
- Aim for stories that clock in at five minutes and under. This is tough! Practice by timing yourself–reading aloud is powerful–and reveals what is essential!
- Stories can be in all formats – memorized, written, top-of-your-head, song. you just have to be open to sharing from your experience.
- Stories should be (mostly) true and circle the theme loosely. Don’t let the theme constrict you. This can be a starting point or central focus, it’s up to you.
- Stories should be from your personal experience. Please remember if discussing things such as religion and politics to do so through the lens of your personal experience– do not assume or expect the audience to have your same value system. Storycatchers is open to all beliefs and reserves the right to ask for modifications or to not include stories that do not follow these guidelines. Interested tellers will hear about placement after the deadline. Don’t hesitate to reach out and ask any questions before sending. We welcome both new and return tellers. (Preference will be made for first-time tellers and story variety.) Don’t worry if you’ve never done this before! This pre-submission process just allows for flow of stories and themes, we welcome and encourage ALL voices. We all have stories to tell!