Higher Learning Commission Visit
May 21-22, 2018
A peer review team from the Higher Learning Commission will visit the UW Oshkosh campus Monday and Tuesday, May 21 and 22. Here is a Draft Schedule for the visit, but we expect the schedule to change as we receive requests from the peer review team.
The on-site Peer Review Visit is part of a Comprehensive Evaluation, which all HLC-accredited institutions are required to undergo periodically. UW Oshkosh’s last Comprehensive Evaluation was in 2007.
The Comprehensive Evaluation
The Comprehensive Evaluation consists of the following steps:
- The university submits a Comprehensive Report, consisting of an Assurance Argument and a Federal Compliance Report. (We submitted these documents on April 23.)
- HLC conducts an online survey of our students. The results of the survey help the peer reviewers identify questions to ask while on site. (This survey was completed in March.)
- The Review Team and a Federal Compliance Officer review the Comprehensive Report and the results of the Student Survey.
- The Review Team visits the university to ask questions and gather multiple perspectives about all areas of our operation.
- The Review Team drafts a report and sends it to university leadership. We then have an opportunity to review the report for factual errors.
- The Review Team revises the report (if necessary) and submits it to HLC’s Institutional Actions Council.
- A committee of the Institutional Actions Council makes a final determination.
The Assurance Argument and Federal Compliance Report were submitted to HLC on April 23. These documents reflect the work of dozens of faculty, staff and administrators at UW Oshkosh over the course of several years. The Assurance Argument demonstrates how the university meets the HLC Accreditation Criteria.
Preparing for the Peer Review Team Visit
Some of you have been or will be invited to group or individual interviews with the peer team during its visit. Some open forums are also on the schedule. Plan to attend sessions to which you are being invited and/or to one of the open forums. Also please check back to see possible changes to the schedule for the on-site visit. This is a wonderful opportunity for the HLC team to hear faculty, staff, and students from all areas of the institution.
Here are some things you can do to prepare for the on-site visit:
- Understand the basics of Re-Accreditation (“What are we doing, and why?”)
- Become familiar with the HLC Accreditation Criteria.
- Become familiar with our Assurance Argument, especially as it pertains to your area(s) of responsibility.
- Review the UW Oshkosh Mission and Vision Statements and our Strategic Plan.
- Clear your schedule for May 21-22. Plan to participate in the visit.
- Encourage others to participate in the visit.
- Keep websites and social media up to date.