ARHD Job Description
The Assistant Residence Hall Director (ARHD) is a part-time graduate assistant position within the Department of Residence Life at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. The Assistant Residence Hall Director reports directly to the Residence Hall Director (RHD).
- Maintain personal contact with residents through daily social interaction, maintenance of office hours and attendance at hall meetings and functions.
- Serve as a role model, resource person and support agent for students and staff.
- Encourage the active participation of residents in hall governance.
- Facilitate the development of hall programs and activities based on the departmental Community Living Model.
- Maintain a secure and satisfying physical environment.
- Communicate, clarify and enforce university, departmental and hall policies.
- Encourage student to assume responsibility for decisions affecting their community.
- Participate in the management of student behavior problems in the halls by responding to incidents, meeting with students and pursuing appropriate administrative and judicial action.
- Assist in the recruitment and selection of Community Advisors and Senior Community Advisor.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of ongoing training for CA Staff.
- Share in the facilitation of weekly staff meeting and provide ongoing staff development sessions that promote opportunities for personal and professional growth and development.
- Assist in the recruitment, selection, training and supervision of desk workers, Health Advocates, ECO Representatives, and other in-hall employees.
- Assist in the operation of the Security Station.
- Assist in the coordination of residence hall openings and closings.
- Meet individually on a regular basis with staff to discuss community issues and concerns as well as monitor program of the staff member.
- Assist in conducting performance evaluations of all hall staff each semester.
- Advise and support the Hall Council and its Executive Board.
- Attend weekly hall government meetings and executive board meetings.
- Support and attend events and activities planned and implemented by the Hall Council.
- Submit administrative reports and forms within set deadlines.
- Maintain regular communication with Residence Life Central Office, Dean of Students Office, University Police, Counseling Center, Custodial Services, Facilities Management Office and other offices across campus.
- Assist staff in administering the EBI Survey in an efficient and timely manner.
- Analyze and use EBI and MapWorks assessments to improve students experiences within the residence hall and support academic success on campus.
- Participate in orientation, training, professional development sessions and staff meetings as required.
- Assist in policy formulation and review for the hall and the department.
- Perform duties on one of the following special assignment teams: Leaderships Development and Diversity Initiatives Team (LDDI), Special Operations Team, Student Conduct Team, CA Training and Selection Team. Other teams are created when necessary.
- Serve as a member of an Oshkosh Placement Exchange (OPE) Committee.