The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s Department of Residence Life greatly values the professional development of our staff. We believe that it is necessary to give back to the housing profession and also believe that our staff should continue to learn and develop throughout their time as an ARHD or RHD. Professional Development occurs in many different ways on our campus.
- Involvement in Professional Associations like Wisconsin College Personnel Association (WCPA), UMR-ACUHO (Upper Mid-West Region of College and University Housing Officers), ACUHO-I (Association of College and University Housing Officers – International) and other student affairs associations like NASPA and ACPA. ARHDs and RHDs receive professional development funds for these types of activities (serving on a committee, serving on the Executive Board, presenting at a conference, etc.).
- Participating in Sr. Staff Developments planned specifically for our ARHD and RHD staff by a group of their peers (the Special Ops Team). The needs of our staff are assessed and sessions are planned to address the various needs of the A/RHD Team.
- The UWO campus offers many opportunities for A/RHDs to engage in workshops and webinars with other university and student affairs staff.
- Involvement in on-campus committees and activities is highly encouraged. We encourage A/RHDs to step outside of the residence halls and contribute to the larger university as a whole. We believe a person can develop themself in a valuable way by making connections and collaborating with others.
- Involvement in the larger Oshkosh Community. An A/RHD’s engagement in the community (by joining service, political, religious and other community organizations) can be a valuable professional development experience and only benefits our department and the A/RHD in the long run.