The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh’s Department of Residence Life is committed to creating an open and diverse living environment that is physically and psychologically safe, respectful and civil; where individual and human differences and diversity of thought are understood, accepted, and celebrated.
Goals of the Department
- Create residence hall environments which are conducive to the academic, social and personal growth of students.
- Provide clean, secure, comfortable, well-maintained, affordable residence hall environments in response to students’ needs.
- Foster students’ awareness of their rights and responsibilities as accountable members of residence hall communities.
- Facilitate the personal, academic, leadership and social development of students.
- Design opportunities and support systems which enhance student leadership.
- Support the university’s academic mission and goals.
- Provide computer technology and support staff within the residence halls to assist in the academic success of students.
- Develop and offer programs and services in response to students’ needs.
- Challenge students to demonstrate strong ethics and positive lifestyles.
- Provide a caring, motivated, helpful and well-trained staff who support the mission and goals of the Department of Residence Life.
- Establish an open and diverse environment that promotes the understanding and acceptance of cultural, ethnic, racial, physical, sexual and religious differences.
- Provide conference facilities and services to the university and Fox Valley communities.
Beliefs of the Department
- We believe the residence hall experience is an integral component in the life of a college student.
- We believe that students and staff will strive to create and sustain social and academic environments which are open, just, caring, purposeful, disciplined, and celebrative.
- We value residence hall environments which are clean, comfortable, attractive, well-maintained, secure and affordable.
- We value physical environments which are conducive to the pursuit of academic success and social development.
- We believe that the Department of Residence Life has a responsibility to assist students in being accountable for themselves and their community.
- We are committed to providing opportunities for social growth through floor, hall, campus and community involvement.
- We believe that the power of the student voice is essential and should be heard through United Students in Residence Halls (USRH) and hall and floor councils.
- We believe that all residents deserve to live in a community that is respectful and civil.
- We believe that all students should have the opportunity for intellectual, physical, emotional, spiritual, ethical, occupational and social growth through educational experiences and programs.
- We value environments which promote leadership development and service to the campus and Oshkosh community.
- We value residence halls as intellectual environments which sustain the academic excitement that ignites in university classrooms.
- We value the development of programs, activities and events which involve all students in campus life.
- We believe in supporting a campus-wide programming network to address the needs of our students and staff.
- We value residence life staff members who are competent, team-oriented, caring, diverse, well-trained and ethical.
- We value a residence hall staff which is committed to their own academic success.
- We value an open environment where individual and human differences and diversity of thought are understood, accepted and appreciated.
- We believe the Gruenhagen Conference Center and available residence hall space are important conference resources for the university and Fox Valley community.