Safety and Security
Maintaining a safe and secure residence hall environment is the responsibility of each resident. Students are urged to use common sense to ensure their safety. Just as you would not open your door at home and invite a stranger in, you are encouraged to use that same judgment with hall and room security. You are encouraged to keep your room door locked, to carry your room key with you at all times and it is against policy to lend your room key to others.
Security Stations provide additional security at hall entrances during the late night/early morning hours. Main entrance doors remain unlocked during front desk hours.
The University Police Department provides the same basic services one would expect from city law enforcement agencies. The department enforces civil and criminal codes and traffic laws as well as policies of the University System. University police provide security and safety educational services to the University community. For 24-hour-a-day assistance and information, call (920) 424-1212.
UWO Mobile App
- UW Oshkosh’s mobile app puts campus resources and safety tools in your hands anytime you’ve got your smart phone. The app is available for UW Oshkosh, UW Fond du Lac and UW Fox Cities. The app can be found in iOS and Android stores. For more information, please visit the UWO Police Department website.
Safe Walk Program
- The University Police offers a Safe Walk program in which Community Service Officers (CSO) accompany students to destinations around campus. The CSO Safe Walk program is available Sunday-Wednesday 7:30 p.m.-2:30 a.m. and Thursday-Saturday 7:30 p.m.-4a.m. To receive a Safe Walk, call (920) 424-1212 or log in to your UWO Mobile App to request a Safe Walk.
- UWO Go is a non-emergency service designed to provide a safe ride for students and employees on and near the UW Oshkosh campus. UWO Go runs seven days a week and provides safe rides during evening and early morning hours when school is in session and there is no cost for currently enrolled students and current employees. Log in to UWO Mobile App to request a ride.
- We provide Security Stations in all residence halls while school is in session, from 9:30 p.m.-2:00a.m. on Sunday through Wednesday night and 9:30 p.m.-3:00 a.m. on the Thursday through Saturday night. Some dates may have extended Security Station hours and students will be provided advanced notice.
- All residence hall floor bathrooms will be locked during the academic year and can be accessed by a resident’s bathroom key or TitanID depending on the hall. Any tampering with the locking mechanism or card reading device of the door or any door propping is a policy violation. On occasion, maintenance issues may prevent hall staff from locking a bathroom door. If a resident has a guest that will need to use the bathroom, a short-term guest bathroom key or key-card can be checked out at the front desk. Losing the key/card or not returning it on time will result in a charge to the resident who is responsible for the guest.
- TitanAlert allows you to receive important information via text message to your phone. You can sign up to receive information about emergencies, parking notifications, school cancellations/delays, and weather alerts. To sign up, visit here or visit the UW Oshkosh homepage, then click on Current Students on the top right corner, scroll down to the section titled Technology, and click TitanAlert. Follow the provided instructions
Sharps Disposal Containers
- The FDA recommends that used needles and other sharps be immediately placed in FDA-cleared sharps disposal containers. Sharps Disposal Containers are located in the gender neutral bathrooms in each of the halls. These bathrooms are located in general areas within the halls. Please consult your desk for the specific location of the gender neutral bathroom in your hall.