Primary UW Shared Services Payroll Contact:
Backup Campus Contact:
Welcome to the Student Employee page! This page provides detailed information regarding students working for UW Oshkosh either on or off campus.
Student Employment Eligibility
- Fall and Spring Terms: Must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits for undergraduate; 4.5 for graduate level)
- Summer Session: Must be enrolled in 3.0 credits for undergraduate/graduate OR enrolled at least half-time in upcoming Fall term
Note that there are limitations on the total hours a student may work between all jobs. Please refer to the Hours Eligible to Work Guidelines section for more details.
Hours Eligible to Work Guidelines
If you have more than one campus job, you must coordinate your total hours working per week with all supervisors. Total hours per week include all jobs together.
- All student employees, excluding international students, are eligible to work a maximum of 25 hours per week between all jobs within the Fall and Spring academic terms. There are periods where students may work more hours; however, it is restricted. Please refer to the work eligibility schedule for details.
- International Students are eligible to work a maximum of 20 hours per week while classes are in session
NOTE: All students must be enrolled in courses at a higher education university with at least 6.0 undergraduate credits or 4.5 graduate credits for Fall and Spring Terms in order to work for UW Oshkosh at any time throughout the calendar year
Required Hiring Paperwork
Please see the Hiring Paperwork Section of the Forms page for all required paperwork.
International Students must make an appointment in Human Resources (424-1166) to complete required forms. Documents to bring along include: I-20, I-94, Passport, VISA, and Social Security Card.
Time Entry Resources
- All hours must be entered by the end of last day of the pay period
- If your job does not start on the first day of the pay period, you will need to view your timesheet by day to enter hours
- Time Entry Instructions (Hourly Students Only)
- Shift Ending at Midnight
- Shifts Crossing at Midnight
- Lump Sum Time Entry Guide (Lump Sum Payments Only)
- Login to My UW System: timesheet entry and earnings statement retrieval
Finding Employment On or Off Campus
Conditions of Employment - Workplace Expectations
All student hourly positions are at-will positions and may be terminated at any time provided the reason is not prohibited by law. It is the University’s position that the UW-Oshkosh Workplace Expectations apply to student employees in the same manner as they apply to staff.
- The University deducts the required federal and state taxes from an employee’s earnings:
All employees should complete a W-4 tax withholding election. For tax filing information (including international), refer to the Service Center’s Tax Filing Resource Page. Refer to the UW System Tax Filing Resource page for more information.
If an employee needs to request a duplicate W2, please complete the Duplicate W-2 Request form.
Employees Exempt from Taxes
A UW student employee is exempt from Social Security and Medicare taxes if enrolled and attending classes as a graduate or undergraduate student at the University of Wisconsin on at least a half-time basis. Half-time status is defined by each institution and is determined at the end of the add/drop period each semester. See Student FICA Exemptions (UWSA Policy 206) for specific rules.
International Tax Information
International employees who are not citizens of the United States and have not obtained permanent resident status are categorized as non-resident aliens or resident aliens for tax purposes based upon several factors including the amount of time they have spent in the United States. International employees are required to create and maintain an account with Glacier International in order to determine their appropriate tax withholding status (substantial presence test) as well as their eligibility for any applicable tax treaties. Information about Glacier will be sent to employees at their UW Oshkosh email address when they begin employment.