Universities of Wisconsin Alliance for Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Advancement in STEM
The mission of the IDEAS Alliance is to create a more inclusive, diverse, and equitable environment in STEM education within the Universities of Wisconsin and the Wisconsin community. We promote the application of evidence-based practices in STEM education to catalyze systemic change and advance STEM fields and practitioners.
In particular, the program seeks to:
- Increase faculty expertise in inclusive, student-centered pedagogy
- Attract, retain, support, and advance diverse STEM students, staff, and faculty
- Promote STEM education that includes analysis of the social context in which science is practiced
- Cultivate cultural competencies in STEM environments
- Promote policies & nurture climates that attract and retain historically underrepresented students and educators in STEM disciplines
- Foster collaborative communities for Universities of Wisconsin STEM administrators, educators, and students.
In order to carry out this mission our activities include:
- Offering data-informed, evidence-based faculty development opportunities
- Disseminating best practices to increase a sense of belonging among those from historically underrepresented populations in STEM
- Providing role models of women and minority STEM professionals, scholars, and educators
- Opportunities to build alliances and strengthen mentorship across the UW System