Computer Configuration Standards
These standards include:
- Computer Configuration Standards
- Fully supported computer hardware
- Mobile devices
- Recommended Windows hardware
- Recommended Mac hardware
Computer Configuration Standards
- i5 processor (Windows) or M1 processor (Mac)
- 16GB of memory (RAM)
- 256GB solid state drive
- Ethernet port or purchase of adapter to allow connectivity with wired campus network
- 4-year warranty for desktops
- 3-year warranty for laptops
- Accidental damage protection
- Laptops are recommended when the computer will be used 1:1 (single user)
- Campus IT will only support the native Operating System on a computer
- Campus IT provides no support for dual-boot machines
- Campus IT provides limited support for Desktop Virtualization Software
- Licensing costs will apply for using non-native Operating Systems and Desktop Virtualization software
Fully supported computer hardware
- Supported for 2 years after warranty end.
- Must be imageable through normal Campus IT procedures.
- Must be able to run a supported Windows 10 semi-annual channel using vendor provided drivers matching the OS.
- Some applications will be unavailable on older devices due to limited support from the software developers or underlying hardware.
- IT recommends the purchase of a solid state drive (SSD) for any machine that does not currently have one.
- IT will make best effort to repair supported hardware depending on part availability from the vendor
- Support for macOS 10.14 and above.
- Manageable through standard Campus IT tools
- Not on the Vintage and obsolete products list
- Campus IT provides support for Linux in the Linux Lab and in the Halsey Teaching Lab
- IT will assist with installing a Linux operating system on a virtual machine (VM)
- A license for VMware Workstation (PC) or VMware Fusion (Mac) is required to run a VM
- iOS and Android OS devices can be configured to access UW Oshkosh email and WiFi.
- iOS devices will be enrolled in to UW Oshkosh’s mobile device management (Jamf) and can be managed with custom configurations upon request.
- Tech support beyond general troubleshooting and email connection must come from the vendor.
- Devices running Chrome OS are considered mobile devices.
- Campus IT provides the same level of support for Chromebooks and Chrome OS as iOS and Android OS device.
- Minimum screen size of 20 inches
- Must be LED
- Dell monitors come with a three (3) year warranty
- Campus IT will work with the vendor on the user’s behalf
- Monitors cannot be repaired outside of warranty and must be replaced
- All new printers and copiers must be placed on a Managed Print Services contract
- Existing printers, if possible, will be enrolled in a Managed Print Services contract
- If the printer cannot be enrolled due to defect, the department will be responsible for repairs prior to device enrollment
- If the printer cannot be enrolled due to age, it will no longer be supported and must be replaced or removed from service
- Local printers (devices that are only connected to one computer) will not be supported
- Exceptions for specialized printers will be reviewed by the CIO under special circumstances. Example: color printer in specialized Art Department Lab.
- Recommendations for new printers
- Document showing New and Existing printers and their cost
For our currently available/recommended hardware configurations please visit our purchase request forms