Welcome to your creative future
The Department of Journalism welcomes you to explore our program to find a career you love. We offer a dynamic, hands-on learning environment for majors and minors in multimedia journalism, public relations and advertising. We value the First Amendment, core journalism principles, writing and visual communication skills, creativity, professionalism and ethics. See what we may offer you toward your creative future:
- Accreditation through the national Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communications that ensures the quality of our program and faculty.
- First public relations major in UW System, a program nationally Certified for Education in Public Relations through the Public Relations Society of America.
- Smaller classes in three computer labs and a digital photo studio to help advance digital media skills for news-oriented, public relations or advertising courses.
- Individual student advising meetings each semester with faculty to discuss courses, register for classes, explore degree options and plan for internships and careers.
- Core courses in writing, visual and multimedia, paired with advanced courses in degree programs and opportunity for professional experiences through clubs, national competitions and in-class projects for local organizations.
Job opportunities in the journalism field
- UW Oshkosh offers multiple internships on campus. The journalism program helps students find internships with a number of creative agencies, news organizations, sports programs and corporations in the Fox Valley, as well as nationally.
- About 87% of recent journalism graduates have had one or more internships prior to graduation.
- The hands-on experiences through courses and internships also contribute to a high employment rate (over 88%) after graduation.
- Multiple job opportunities are available for journalism graduates in media organizations, advertising and public relations agencies, corporations and nonprofit organizations.
of our recent journalism grads have jobs in the field
of our students have one or more internships before graduation
We are strongly committed to the freedom of expression.