Become a Kinesiology student
Undergraduate majors in the Department of Kinesiology have a secondary admissions process. Students are required to submit an admissions portfolio to be considered for acceptance into each of the three majors. Formal acceptance is necessary prior to completing most upper-level courses within the major.
In order to obtain admission into one of the majors in the Department of Kinesiology, students must submit an application with a link to their admissions portfolio. The admissions portfolio may be submitted following successful completion of the following prerequisite courses (9 credits):
- KIN 121 – Orientation to Kinesiology (1 cr)
- KIN 122 – Kinesiology Admissions Seminar (1 cr)
- KIN 170 – Medical Terminology (1 cr)
- KIN 171 – Prevention, Recognition, & Treatment of Athletic Injuries (2 cr)
- BIO 211 – Human Anatomy (4 cr)
A minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required to be considered for admission and students in the Department of Kinesiology must finish their undergraduate degree with a 2.75 GPA in all Kinesiology courses. Therefore, pre-admission grades and GPA are reviewed during the admissions decision in order to assess the likelihood of success in completing the major.
- The deadline for submission of the admissions portfolio is on the last Friday of each semester. Students may apply for admissions while the courses listed above are in progress. Admittance, however, is dependent upon completion and the student’s grade in each course.
- All applications will be reviewed and evaluated within three weeks following the end of the semester. Students will receive formal notification of the admissions committee’s decision no later than five weeks after the semester ends. The decision will be sent to each student’s University email address.
If you have any questions, please contact the Admissions Committee Chair, Dr. Dan Schmidt.
Admissions Portfolio contents
Your admissions portfolio must include the following:
1. Descriptive background information about the student on the first page
It can be called the “Introduction” page, and it must include the following information: your name, the major for which you are applying, the courses you are using to apply, next semester’s class schedule, your student ID, UW Oshkosh email address and a picture (optional). The “Introduction” page can be formatted as desired, but all required above information must be present.
2. A formal cover letter
Your cover letter must be addressed to the Kinesiology Admissions Committee, stating which Kinesiology major you are applying for (Exercise and Sport Science, Strength and Conditioning, or Rehabilitation Science). Other information in the letter can include why you desire to be admitted into the major and what your career plans are currently. The letter should also include your qualifications, your academic objectives and any additional information that you feel will help the admissions committee evaluate your portfolio. Your letter must not exceed one page in length.
3. A formal resume
Include the following sections (if appropriate): education section, experience section, any appropriate honors and activities, and a skills section. You may include any other resume sections you think contribute to your document.
4. Admissions video
Include the following:
- Introduce yourself: name, hometown, year in school (transfer student or UWO 1st year)
- Major you are applying for in the Department of Kinesiology
- Briefly state why you are interested in pursuing a major in Rehabilitation Science, Strength & Conditioning, or Exercise & Sport Science
- State your 2 most positive academic attributes or strengths
- Describe an academic area or skill you need to improve upon and how you plan to go about improving the this area
- Share with the admissions committee what sets you apart from other students who may be applying
In addition, your video should reflect your personality, feelings, aspirations and enthusiasm toward your intended major.
Once your admissions portfolio is complete you will have a website link from Canvas. To complete your application, you must complete the form below and include your personal website link.