The Queer and Trans Faculty/Staff Award seeks to recognize outstanding achievement as evidenced by performance that consistently and substantially has resulted in important and significant impact for queer students, faculty, or staff at UW Oshkosh, has significantly enhanced queer communities at UW Oshkosh and/or in the greater community, has significantly created a more LGBTQ+-friendly campus climate, has significantly increased student understanding of queer communities and of contributions to knowledge made by queer individuals, and/or has made a significant contribution to queer knowledge and culture.
Significant work that will be considered for this award may include one or more of the following:
- Advocates for the implementation of best practices for serving queer students on campus, e.g. those laid forth by the Campus Pride Index
- Advocates for the specific needs of queer students, faculty, or staff to succeed academically and/or personally.
- Advocates for non-partisan needs of queer individuals in the greater Fox Valley community.
- Consistently advocates for individual students in ways that help them address systemic barriers.
- Advocates nationally in ways that bring change or local awareness to the University and/or surrounding community.
- Develops and successfully teaches a consistent content course for the LGBTQ Studies Certificate for a significant number of years.
- Significantly revises courses taught to infuse LGBTQ+ content throughout the semester’s course of study.
- Consistently infuses LGBTQ+ content into a field of study.
- Contributes to changes in a department or college through curriculum infusion efforts (e.g. is a leader in teaching and assists changes in curriculum infusion beyond one’s own courses)
- Shapes the work or mission of a department, unit, or University committee to serve the needs of queer students, faculty, or staff on campus.
- Performs significant service to Rainbow Alliance for HOPE, the LGBTQ Education and Advocacy Council, the LGBTQ Resource Center, the Campus Pride Index Task Force, the Harvey Milk Commemorative Dinner Committee, the LGBTQ Ally March Committee, the TransAction Committee, the World AIDS Day committee, or other queer organizations in the Greater Fox Valley.
- Addresses intersecting oppressions of LGBTQ+ students, faculty, or staff through service work.
- Contributes significantly to the campus climate for queer students, faculty, and/or staff through committee/taskforce work.
- Conducts outreach work on behalf the campus community that fosters greater connection to the community and improves the community climate for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, or staff.
- Serves as a positive role model in areas of leadership for queer students.
- Mentors queer students to succeed both academically and civically.
- Contributes significantly as chair/co-chair of LGBTQ+ committee(s) and/or taskforce(s) to the success for LGBTQ+ students, faculty, or staff.
- Has a positive impact on LGBTQ+ students, faculty, or staff through leadership on a general department, college, or university committee/taskforce.
- Serves in a regional, state, or national leadership role that demonstrates a commitment to the LGBTQ+ community.
- Publishes or presents significant work that uses creative approaches to address queer issues.
- Significantly researches best practices for serving queer individuals and implements these practices to make change on the UW Oshkosh campus or the greater community.