Director (Racial Minority Academic Support Services)
Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence
Campus Center for Equity and Diversity (Oshkosh Campus)
How do I help students?:
- Oversight of Multicultural Retention Programs and the Multicultural Education Center.
- Coordinate the Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant (Lawton Grant).
- Mentor and coach students from historically marginalized racial/ethnic groups on how to navigate college.
- Provide academic resources to help students persist and graduate from college.
- Workplace Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Advisory Council
- African American Studies Advisory Committee
- Residence Life Cultural Support and Advocacy Floor Group
- Bias Education and Support Team (B.E.S.T)
- Student Care Team
Since joining the Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh in 2003, Byron has been engaged in numerous academic and administrative experiences both within and outside of the Division. Byron has a successful record in academic coaching, coordinating, and managing programs, which led to various positions within the Division. During those years, Byron planned and coordinated university/community-based programs and events, student orientations, pre-college enrichment/outreach programs, and academic success initiatives. In the area of service, he was selected to chair and serve on multiple committees and various campus tasks force. He also leads in the coordination and management of the Lawton Undergraduate Minority Retention Grant for the university. In his current role as the Multicultural Initiatives Director for the Student Achievement Services in the Division of Academic Support of Inclusive Excellence, Byron has worked directly with various constituents on numerous departmental and institutional tasks and reports. Byron plans special events and projects for student persistence, retention, and enhancing the leadership development of all students at UW Oshkosh.
Byron is an individual with a diverse and extensive range of exposure and professional experience extending from supervisory to a retention specialist, grant coordination, and student organizations. Byron is dedicated to being a change agent in all aspects of higher education. Born in Chicago and raised in Oak Park, Illinois. Byron received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. He has dedicated his life to helping students navigate the rigors and complexities of college and being an unlimited resource for all students, faculty, and staff. His education, local experiences, and upbringing helps him understand the needs of today’s student and how they can achieve their full potential and reach academic success.