The Department of Music offers two wind band ensembles for student participation: Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble. Both groups are open to music majors and non-music majors alike. Selection is based on audition prior to or at the beginning of each semester. Each group performs two major concerts a semester as well as other occasional performances by invitation or as arranged. Involvement in either group awards one academic credit valid as an elective toward any degree program. Participation is open to players of any instruments listed in the Audition Music section below (most instruments are available for loan from the university if needed).
Music 123. An ensemble of more than 70 instrumentalists performing a wide variety of musical styles and literature, the Symphonic Band provides an ideal opportunity for staying actively involved in music-making and for meeting new friends from across the entire campus. The music is geared to be interesting and challenging to all involved.
Music 121. The Wind Ensemble is a group of approximately 50 players dedicated to performing the finest wind literature from every musical era. In addition to performing in the full group, the Wind Ensemble provides opportunities for chamber music playing by drawing smaller groups from within the total ensemble.
Fall 2023 Audition Information
To prepare for your ensemble audition, please do the following:
- Download the music for your instrument.
- Use this link to sign up for an audition time. Note that there are individual tabs at the bottom of the sheet for each instrument family. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzF3EvRI94tIY1UwxgLUPhtlJ32_DL8EAOziJO-D9Mw/edit?usp=sharing
- Use this link to fill out an information sheet prior to your audition: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScZo-8jQPMaOHRue54rGnt_WFeZwbcL9bQISMH7IerTaIjokw/viewform?usp=sharing
- Woodwind auditions will take place on Thursday, Sept. 7 in the AM. Brass will be on Sept. 7 in the PM. If there are no times available that work for you, make-up auditions are available on Friday, Sept. 8. Woodwind and Brass will audition in room N121 (Dr. Otto’s office).
- Returning percussionists will audition on either Wednesday, Sept. 6 or Friday, Sept. 8 from 11:30 to 12:30. New percussionists will audition on Thursday, Sept. 7 from 4:10 to 6:10 pm. Percussion auditions will be in room N14.
- Please contact Dr. Otto with any questions at email@example.com
For more information about UW Oshkosh bands, please contact Dr. Devin Otto, Director of Bands at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, at (920) 424-7031 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.