The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Jazz Ensembles are open to all UW Oshkosh students regardless of major. Auditions are held for all positions in the two jazz big bands at the beginning of each semester. Several jazz combos also meet regularly every semester, with regular campus coffeehouse gigs and late-night jam sessions a staple of UWO campus life.
Jazz Ensemble – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, from 3:00 – 4:00
Jazz Lab Band – Monday, Wednesday, from 3:00 – 4:00
Fall 2019 Jazz Performances
- October 11 UW Oshkosh Jazz Ensemble & Jazz Lab Band *, 7:30 p.m. – Celebrating 100 Years of Art Blakey. Marty Robinson and Gordon Lewis, directors
- October 31-Nov. 1 – Jazz Ensemble Tour to Northern WI High Schools. The main evening concert is in Wabeno on Oct. 31st at 7:30 p.m.
- November 9 UW Oshkosh Jazz Combos, 11:00 a.m. – **Held at the Oshkosh Public Library, Under the Dome. FREE!**
- November 19 UW Oshkosh Jazz Ensemble & Chamber Jazz Ensembles *, 7:30 p.m. – Marty Robinson, director
- December 4 UW Oshkosh Jazz Lab Band *, 7:30 p.m. – Gordon Lewis, director
- December 5 UW Oshkosh Jazz Ensemble, 6:30 p.m. – The UWO Jazz Ensemble presents a Holiday Concert. Marty Robinson, director. **Please note this event will be held at the Oshkosh Public Library, free of charge**
The UWO Jazz Ensemble, directed by Marty Robinson, is the premiere jazz group and rehearses four times weekly and performs a minimum of two major concerts on campus each semester as well as occasional off-campus special events. In addition, the jazz ensemble travels to national jazz festivals and often tours regionally to high schools around Wisconsin. Several nationally known guest artists have appeared and/or worked with the UWO Jazz Ensemble in recent years:
Scotty Barnhart, Derrick Gardner, Clay Jenkins, John McNeil, Valery Ponomarev, Bobby Shew, Byron Stripling
David Bixler, Tom Gullion, Jim Snidero, Tom Washatka
Tom Garling, Andy Martin, Dean Sorenson
Carl Allen, drums
Avishai Cohen, bass
Richard Davis, bass
John Harmon, piano
Mary Louise Knutson, piano
Dennis Mackrel, drums
Ted Piltzecker, vibraphone
Joey Alexander, piano
Russell Hall, bass
Mark Whitfield, Jr., drums
Jazz Lab Band
The UWO Jazz Lab Band, directed by Gordon Lewis, performs its own concerts every semester and is a great opportunity for underclassmen and music education students, in particular, to get a jazz big band experience. Music in both big bands is chosen to represent the diversity of the jazz area and includes the numerous styles and eras that help define “America’s musical art form.” Improvisation, an essential element of jazz, is strongly encouraged by all members of the ensemble though is not required for participation.
Fall 2019 Audition Information
Please see the Jazz Ensembles Audition Information Sheet.
For Audition music, click on the appropriate link below. Contact Dr. Marty Robinson with any questions.
Auditions will consists of some scales, the prepared jazz etude (also available outside N234), sight reading, and improvisation (optional) with Dr. Robinson accompanying at the piano. Students auditioning for Rhythm Section can prepare any jazz piece in lieu of the jazz etude. Drummers should be prepared to demonstrate various styles of jazz drumming in their auditions.
Auditions will be held from Wednesday, September 4th through Friday, September 6th. Please sign up for a 10-minute time slot on the board outside Dr. Robinson’s office, N234.
UW Oshkosh Department of Music
800 Algoma Blvd.
Arts & Communication Center
Oshkosh, WI 54901