The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Jazz Ensembles are open to all UW Oshkosh students regardless of major. Auditions are held for all positions in the two jazz big bands at the beginning of each semester. Several jazz combos also meet regularly every semester, with regular campus coffeehouse gigs and late-night jam sessions a staple of UWO campus life.
Fall 2021 Covid Updates
- Jazz Ensembles at UWO WILL AGAIN REHEARSE and perform this fall!
- Students who play piano, guitar, bass, and drums will wear facemasks during every rehearsal/performance.
- Students who play saxophone, trumpet, and trombone will wear facemasks when not actively playing.
- Bell Covers will NOT be required for brass/saxophones, though we will have some wider spacing.
Fall 2021 Audition Information
- Auditions will be held LIVE and IN PERSON in A/C N234 (unless Covid Protocols change prior to the start of classes.)
- A sign-up sheet is available outside N234 throughout the day from Wednesday, Sept. 8th – Friday, Sept. 10th.
- General Audition information can be found HERE. Please review this sheet before in advance of your audition.
- Complete this Info Sheet and bring to your audition.
- Please download and prepare the music for your instrument below.
For any and all questions, please contact Marty Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Jazz Ensemble – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, from 3:00 – 4:00
Jazz Lab Band – Monday, Wednesday, from 3:00 – 4:00
The UWO Jazz Ensemble, directed by Marty Robinson, is the premiere jazz group and rehearses four times weekly and performs a minimum of two major concerts on campus each semester as well as occasional off-campus special events. In addition, the jazz ensemble travels to national jazz festivals and often tours regionally to high schools around Wisconsin. Several nationally known guest artists have appeared and/or worked with the UWO Jazz Ensemble in recent years:
Scotty Barnhart, Derrick Gardner, Clay Jenkins, John McNeil, Valery Ponomarev, Bobby Shew, Byron Stripling
David Bixler, Tom Gullion, Jim Snidero, Tom Washatka
Tom Garling, Andy Martin, Dean Sorenson
Carl Allen, drums
Avishai Cohen, bass
Richard Davis, bass
John Harmon, piano
Mary Louise Knutson, piano
Dennis Mackrel, drums
Ted Piltzecker, vibraphone
Joey Alexander, piano
Russell Hall, bass
Mark Whitfield, Jr., drums
Jazz Lab Band
The UWO Jazz Lab Band performs its own concerts every semester and is a great opportunity for underclassmen and music education students, in particular, to get a jazz big band experience. Music in both big bands is chosen to represent the diversity of the jazz area and includes the numerous styles and eras that help define “America’s musical art form.” Improvisation, an essential element of jazz, is strongly encouraged by all members of the ensemble though is not required for participation.