The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Symphony Orchestra (UWOSO) is a full symphony orchestra open by audition to students across campus, regardless of major. The ensemble is dedicated to outstanding performances of historical and contemporary canonical masterworks. UWOSO frequently collaborates with other ensembles, institutions, and guest artists. Some examples are the UWO Opera Theatre Department and University choirs.
Rehearsals are held in Music Hall in the Arts and Communication building Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:15 PM to 6:15 PM. A minimum of two concert events are presented each semester. Regular attendance at twice-weekly rehearsals and participation in all performances is required. The UWOSO syllabus can be downloaded here.
Camerata is an unconnected string orchestra. Participation in Camerata is by invitation only and requires participation in UWOSO. For more information, contact Dr. Chmura-Moore at email@example.com or (920) 424-7011.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019 @ 7:30 P.M.
Wednesday, November 20, 2019 @ 7:30 P.M.
Wednesday, March 18, 2020 @ 7:30 P.M.
Wednesday, May 6, 2020 @ 7:30 P.M.
(Featuring the 2020 UWOSO Concerto Competition winners)
Incoming students and non-music majors typically enroll in MUSIC 141. Upper level music majors enroll in MUSIC 341. Auditions and chair placement are held during the first week of classes each semester. If an audition is taken in the fall, auditioning in the spring is not required.
An annual concerto competition is held, open to University students enrolled in applied lessons, to provide an opportunity for the winner(s) to perform as guest-soloist with the UWOSO. Click here for information pertaining to the competition.
Presentation of research into definitive recordings of symphonic masterworks, held in Music Hall, and “pumped” like a rock concert.
”Concerto for Two Pianos” by Poulenc, March 2018
Featuring Professor of Piano Eli Kalman and Assistant Professor of Piano Kirstin Ihde
All students must audition for placement in the UWOSO. Entrance auditions take place the first week of each semester.
- Perform a solo or etude of your choosing. Please note that time only allows for a few minutes of this work to be heard.
- Sight-reading will be assigned.
- (Returning students only) Prepare one of the orchestral excerpts associated with your instrument here.
Auditions will take place Thursday, September 5 and Friday, September 6 in N222. Signup sheets will be posted the week before the first week of classes outside N222.
WIND, BRASS AND PERCUSSION
- Flute: Sep. 4, 2:45-4:30 p.m., N121
- Oboe: Sep. 4, 2:45-4:30 p.m., N121
- Clarinet: Sep. 4, 4:30-5:45 p.m., N121
- Bassoon: Sep. 4, 4:30-5:45 p.m., N121
- French Horn: Sep. 4, 2-2:45 p.m., N121
- Trumpet: Sep. 4, 6-7:30 p.m., N121
- Trombone: Sep. 4, 12:30-2 p.m., N121
- Tuba: Sep. 5, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., N121
- Returning members: Sep. 4 and 6, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., room N14
- New members: Sep. 6, 3-5 p.m., room N14
UWOSO and Wind Ensemble auditions will be held simultaneously and will be heard by both Dr. Otto and Dr. Chmura-Moore. Signup sheets will be posted the week before the first week of classes outside Dr. Otto’s studio (N121).
UW Oshkosh Department of Music
800 Algoma Blvd.
Arts & Communication Center
Oshkosh, WI 54901