The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Symphony Orchestra (UWOSO) is a full symphony orchestra open by audition to students across campus, regardless of major. The ensemble is dedicated to outstanding performances of historical and contemporary canonical masterworks. UWOSO frequently collaborates with other ensembles, institutions, and guest artists. Some examples are the UWO Opera Theatre Department and University choirs.
”Concerto for Two Pianos” by Poulenc, March 2018
Rehearsals are held in Music Hall in the Arts and Communication building Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:15 PM to 6:15 PM. A minimum of two concert events are presented each semester. Regular attendance at twice-weekly rehearsals and participation in all performances is required.
Camerata is an unconnected string orchestra. Participation in Camerata is by invitation only and requires participation in UWOSO. For more information, contact Dr. Chmura-Moore at email@example.com or (920) 424-7011.
Incoming students and non-music majors typically enroll in MUSIC 141. Upper level music majors enroll in MUSIC 341. Auditions and chair placement are held during the first week of classes each semester. If an audition is taken in the fall, auditioning in the spring is not required.
An annual concerto competition is held, open to University students enrolled in applied lessons, to provide an opportunity for the winner(s) to perform as guest-soloist with the UWOSO. Click here for information pertaining to the competition.
Presentation of research into definitive recordings of symphonic masterworks, held in Music Hall, and “pumped” like a rock concert.
For more information about UWOSO, please contact Dr. Dylan T. Chmura-Moore at (920) 424-7011 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students must audition for placement in the UWOSO. Entrance auditions take place the first week of each semester.
Auditions will take place September 8-9, 2022. Sign up for an audition time by visiting N222 in the Arts and Communication building.
- Freshmen, transfers, and students new to the orchestra: Perform a solo or etude of your choosing. Please note that time only allows for a few minutes of this work to be heard.
- Returning students: Perform a solo or etude of your choosing. In addition, prepare one of the orchestral excerpts associated with your instrument here.
- Sight-reading will be assigned.
WIND, BRASS AND PERCUSSION
- Flute: Sep. 7, 3:00-3:50 p.m., Music Hall
- Oboe: Sep. 7, 3:00-3:50 p.m., Music Hall
- Clarinet: Sep. 7, 4:00-4:50 p.m., Music Hall
- Bassoon: Sep. 7, 4:00-4:50 p.m., Music Hall
- French Horn: Sep. 7, 2:00-2:50 p.m., Music Hall
- Trumpet: Sep. 7, 5:00-6:00 p.m., Music Hall
- Trombone: Sep. 7, 1:00-1:50 p.m., Music Hall
- Tuba: Sep. 8, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Music Hall
- Returning members: Sep. 7 and 9, 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., room N14
- New members: Sep. 9, 3:00-5:00 p.m., room N14
UWOSO and Symphonic Band/Wind Ensemble auditions will be held simultaneously and will be heard by both Dr. Otto and Dr. Chmura-Moore. Signup sheets will be posted the week before the first week of classes outside Dr. Otto’s studio (N121). Please visit the bands page for audition music: https://uwosh.edu/music/ensembles/bands/.