Chief/Company Officer Certificate Program
Join our mailing list to have program announcements and registration information delivered to your inbox.
The Chief/Company Officer Program (CCOP) is a collaborative initiative between UW Oshkosh and the Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA), providing officers with broad perspectives on various facets of fire and emergency services administration.
Through six online educational courses, the CCOP framework helps officers strengthen their communication and leadership skills and gain a better understanding of public administration in fire and emergency services.
Upon successful completion of all six courses and having met the prerequisites for Fire Officer II, you are eligible to apply for Fire Officer III certification through ProBoard.
- One letter of reference from either your supervisor, fire chief, police and fire commission, city board or elected official
- Documentation of at least three years of experience as a fire officer or five years of experience working in a fire, EMS or EM department
* Certificates are only required if you are seeking the Fire Officer III certification
- Copy of current Fire/EMS Instructor I certificate*
- Copy of current Fire Officer I certificate*
- Copy of current Fire Officer II certificate*
Participants will learn a variety of leadership and management skills through the online program. Courses consist of reading, preparation and online work.
|Course||Dates||Instructor||Sign Up Here!|
|Authentic Communication||March 5 - April 1, 2023||Michele (Shelly) DeLisle, MS||Register Now!|
|Written Communication||April 2 - 29, 2023||Steven Peggs, MS||Register Now!|
|Leadership in the Public Sphere||April 30 - May 27, 2023||Mitchell Waite, PhD||Register Now!|
|Personnel Management||May 28 - June 24, 2023||Ryan Weyers, MS||Register Now!|
|Fiscal Management||June 25 - July 22, 2023||Mitchell Waite, PhD||Register Now!|
|Risk Assessment and Strategic Management||July 23 - Aug. 19, 2023||Tyson Novinska, MA||Register Now!|
All dates are tentative.
Courses are offered throughout the year.
Participants will need to purchase the required textbook, “Chief Officer, Principles and Practice” (Third Edition) by David J. Purchase, published by Jones and Bartlett. The textbook will be used throughout all six courses.
Cost of each course is $499.
Credit and debit card payments will only be accepted electronically. OCE may no longer accept credit and debit card payments via phone, mail, or fax.
For more information, contact Outreach Program Coordinator Cindy Brun at (920) 424-1458 or email@example.com.
Wisconsin Emergency Services Academy (WESA)
To learn more about additional education opportunities for firefighters, contact or visit …
- Wisconsin State Fire Chiefs Association (WSFCA)
- Wisconsin State Firefighters Association (WSFA)
- Wisconsin Technical College (WTC) System
- Wisconsin Fire Inspectors Association (WFIA)
- Wisconsin Emergency Management (WEM)
- Regional Emergency All-Climate Training Center (REACT)
- University of Wisconsin Oshkosh (UWO)