Discover Firefighting Academy
Live the life of a firefighter.
Join us for one of our outstanding firefighting programs for high school students. Get hands-on experiences by performing tasks and training exercises alongside local firefighters and emergency medical technicians.
Participants will gain knowledge about careers in fire and emergency response services; develop leadership skills, problem-solving and team-building skills. Lodging and meals will take place on the UW Oshkosh campus, and off-campus field exercises will occur at area fire stations and training facilities.
Discover Firefighting is a historically popular summer youth academy and registration fills quickly, so register online today!
Basic Firefighting Academy (Entering grades 9–12)
June 14-19, 2020 • Cost: $450
Get an introduction in the training, tasks, skills and education needed for today’s firefighting workforce. Students work in teams consisting of engine companies, battalions, ladder companies and rescue units throughout the program. All activities are taught by professional firefighters, providing abundant opportunities for students to network and connect with fire and Emergency Medical Service (EMS) professionals.
The Basic Firefighting Academy includes:
- Introduction to fire and emergency medical services
- Career preparation and networking with fire department personnel
- Field activities, such as how to handle ladders, hoses and fire extinguishers
- Mentorship and hands-on activities provided by professional firefighters
- Opportunities for teamwork, problem-solving and leadership development
- Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) and personal protective equipment (PPE)
- Tours of local fire departments and fire-related manufacturing companies
- CPR Certification
Advanced Firefighting Academy (Entering grades 9–12)
July 12-17, 2020 • Cost: $450
The advanced academy is open to high school students who have previously participated in the Discover Firefighting Academy. It is also open to students who belong to a fire science explorer program (with adviser/chief’s signature). This academy presents students with advanced training, knowledge and challenges associated with fire and emergency medical services.
The Advanced Firefighting Academy includes:
- Advanced emergency medical service preparation
- Career planning, preparation and networking with fire department personnel
- Field activities in live scenarios – Team building, leadership, search and rescue techniques, etc. – Simulation experiences such as a car fire and live tower burns – Tactics exercises
- Modified fitness and physical agility tests, including aerial ladder-climbing and hose-dragging
- Tours of local fire departments
The fee to register is $450 which covers all instructional materials, equipment, transportation, academy T-shirt, meals and lodging for the duration of the academy.
Credit and debit card payments will only be accepted electronically. OCE may no longer accept credit and debit card payments via phone, mail or fax.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact UW Oshkosh Continuing Education at email@example.com or call (920) 424-1129.
Discover Firefighting Academy partners include:
- Appleton Fire Department
- Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue
- Fox Valley Technical College Public Safety Training Center
- Grand Chute Fire Department
- Oshkosh Fire Department
- Professional Firefighters of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Society of Emergency Service Instructors
- Wisconsin State Firefighter Association
- Wisconsin State Fire Chief Association