Grandparents University will be held in-person, on-campus on Thursday, July 15, 2021!
Grandparents University is a summer academy that brings grandparents and their grandchildren, ages 8–12, together for education and exploration. Make memories together as you and your grandchild learn and grow!
In 2021, we will be holding a one-day program, but we expect to be back to a two-day program in July of 2022 … Save the dates of July 14 and 15, 2022!
Please join our mailing list for program updates.
Program Updates & COVID protocol for 2021:
- One-day program: This will be a jam-packed one-day program full of education and fun. We will have excellent activities, time with your grandchild and time on the UWO campus. However, we are not able to offer an overnight option. If you are interested in spending two days with your grandchild, we will provide you with options for spending the night in a local hotel and enriching activities in Oshkosh.
- Vaccination: Our UWO Continuing Education staff have been vaccinated. We ask all participants to self-quarantine for 10 days prior to coming to campus.
- Check-in Screening: We will have a “medical” staff person who will be available for screening participants prior to allowing them to enter the program. To be allowed to participate you must not be experiencing any COVID symptoms.
- Masks: Masks must be worn for all activities and we will provide a mask for you to use. If you are not able to wear a mask then we ask you to consider not participating this year. We are encouraging our instructors to build in mask-breaks and time outside if possible.
- Classroom Space: We limit each major to 20 participants. Participants are separated by major and there will not be any large group activities. Large “pit” classrooms or a banquet room are used to ensure every family group will be properly distanced from the next family group. Even though the CDC is loosening to three feet, we are going to maintain six feet of distance.
- Cleaning: Hand sanitizer and wipes will be available to participants. Staff will wipe down areas between sessions
- Lunch: Lunch is provided for all participants. We are unsure if we will have lunch in Blackhawk Commons. If not, a box lunch will be provided. Indoor and outdoor eating space is available. Classroom space will not be used for eating in order to keep that space sanitized.
- Graduation: Graduation is one of our favorite activities at the completion of the program. A contactless graduation, separated by major, will take place. There will be a speaker, diplomas and pictures. Unfortunately, Clash, handshakes and a reception will not take place to ensure proper social distancing. However, we will celebrate you and make it a nice ceremony. We especially want to celebrate those who will be attending for their fourth year and earning their “bachelor’s degree.”
- Age Limit: We will be extending our age limit to age 13/14 to accommodate those who did attend for three consecutive years and may have aged out since 2020. Please contact Program Manager Julie Kiefer at email@example.com to discuss prior to registration.
Choose one of our exciting majors:
Amaze yourself as you transform various materials into a work of art!
Learn about space missions while making and launching a rocket.
Dive into “The Inside Story of Life” by studying the “Mysteries of the Microscope” in the morning and “The Human Body” in the afternoon.
Thursday, July 15, 2021
|8:45–9:45 a.m.||Arrive on campus and register (Location TBD)|
|9:45–10:00 a.m.||Virtual Welcome|
|10:00 a.m.–Noon||Major Class|
|1:00–3:30 p.m.||Major Class|
|3:30–4:00 p.m.||Outdoor Mask Break|
Adult $160; Child $60
UW Oshkosh alumni can receive a $10 discount by using promo code “UWOGRAND” at registration.
- Meals: Lunch.
- Courses: Engaging majors with hands-on activities.
- Graduation: Enjoy a Titan-inspired graduation. Take home a commemorative t-shirt, water bottle and diploma.
Note: Many activities involve walking. Please let us know in advance if you need any accommodations. We are pleased to provide assistance.
Credit and debit card payments may only be accepted electronically. OCE may no longer accept credit and debit card payments via phone, mail or fax.
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (920) 424-1129.
Grandparents University® is a registered trademark originating at the University of Wisconsin-Madison and is used with permission.