Teaching and Learning
Video Conference Call
March 30 Department Meeting Items
TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION PROGRAM
· Form A to create the course Sec Ed 315: Clinical in Teaching Technology Education, K-12 (attached)
· Form C to replace Sec Ed 358 Clinical in Teaching Science with the new Sec Ed 315 clinical (attached)
· Remove the ‘for act! Students’ text from the Sec Ed 312, 313, 314 course titles. If approved, I will generate the Form As.
ELEMENTARY AND MIDDLE SCHOOL PROGRAM
Proposal 1: Certificate Expansion – If approved, a Form C will be generated.
Proposal: Allow students to complete any certificate program, minor, or second major at UW Oshkosh.
Rationale: The initial approval of the Elementary and Middle School Education major required students complete 1 of 9 approved certificates. To date, only 3 of 7 new certificates have been approved (math, social science, art integration). The remaining certificates have been delayed or have not yet been started.
In the previous elementary education program, students were encouraged to take a ‘licensable minor’ but could complete any minor at UWO. This provided students with flexibility if they changed majors or transferred from a different school. In addition, we did not have a formal option for students to declare a second major. Instead, we would submit a curriculum modification to count the second major as meeting the requirement. This proposal will provide the flexibility of the previous major and formally add a second major as an option for program completion.
The expansion of the certificate requirement will also give students the option to take certificates from other departments in COEHS.
PROPOSAL 2: Early Childhood Certificate
– If approved, a Form C and related documentation will be generated.
Proposal: Create a 10-credit certificate in early childhood education. This certificate will include the following courses:
· Elem Ed 312: Working With Infants and Toddlers and Their Families (2cr)
· Elem Ed 313: Theories and Practices of Early Childhood Education (2cr)