Students, staff and faculty on the Oshkosh campus wanting to have an escort by Safewalk need only call the University Police at (920) 424-1212 or use the Mobile App found on Safewalk’s website. The Safewalk program is available every day of the week during evening and night hours.
Safewalks will be provided anywhere inside the campus boundary and within a several block radius of campus. Please contact University Police with any questions regarding Safewalk coverage areas.
Escorts are provided by uniformed Community Service Officers (CSOs) working in pairs. They have a direct link to the Police Department through police radios and are trained in Defensive Tactics.
There is no cost for the service. If you have any further questions, please contact the University Police at (920) 424-1212.
Many emergency phones are located throughout the Oshkosh campus. These phones have a blue light on top of them and are a direct link to the University Police.
UWO Police Emergency #: (920) 424-1212
City of Fond du Lac Police Emergency #: 911
City of Menasha Police Emergency #: 911
City of Oshkosh Police Emergency #: 911
- Always keep your car locked when driving and when parked.
- Avoid walking alone, especially if you are depressed, exhausted or intoxicated.
- If you think someone is following you, change your route, walk faster, slower or cross the street. If you sense danger, go to a well-lighted public area.
- If you are ever approached or observe something suspicious, obtain a description of any person or vehicle involved, including license plate number. This information can be valuable for law enforcement purposes.
- Always carry a cellular phone with police as your number 1 speed dial choice.
- Consider carrying pepper spray and/or a personal alarm.
- Do not engage in conversation with unknown individuals, especially if threatening language or insults have been used.
- Leave your purse at home if possible. If you must carry one, hold it firmly, close to your body.