UW Oshkosh community and surrounding area,
Special Olympics Wisconsin, in partnership with the UW Oshkosh Police Department and a large number of other law enforcement agencies from all over Wisconsin, will host Run With the Cops tomorrow, Thursday, Oct. 3rd, on the UW Oshkosh campus. Run With the Cops is a 1K kids run and a 5K run/walk along with an interactive vehicle display area in a large portion of Lot # 13. This is our 6th year hosting this event.
We wanted to provide you with some details about how this event will affect parking and travel if you’re in the area near or around the UW Oshkosh campus tomorrow.
Affected Areas & Closures
- A large portion of Lot # 13 (near Kolf) will be closed starting at 6:00 a.m. and it will remain closed through the end of the event (around 9:00 p.m.)
- Pearl Avenue will close from Osceola Street to Rockwell Avenue beginning at 6 p.m. for the kids 1K course and it will remain closed through the end of the 5K, which is at about 9 p.m.
- High Avenue from Vine Ave to Osceola St will close starting at 7:15 p.m. and the areas on High Ave between Woodland Ave and Rockwell Ave will remain closed until about 9 p.m.
– other areas outside of Woodland Ave to Rockwell Ave will reopen once runners are clear from this area on the run course.
– The area between W. New York and Vine Ave is open to residents who live in that area and officers near the intersection of High Ave an Vine Ave will do their best to work with residents when there are openings in the run course.
- Algoma Blvd at Wisconsin St will close starting at 7:15 p.m. and remain closed through the duration of the event
– people who are parked in a lot between Algoma Blvd/Wisconsin St and Algoma Blvd/Vine Ave will have periods of time where they can leave those lots between 7:30 p.m. and 9 p.m. however, there will likely be delays based on when runners and walkers are along the course.
- The 5K run/walk course will shut down portions of other area roads (Elmwood Ave, W. Irving Ave, Vine Ave, Woodland Ave, Rockwell Ave and Osceola St) starting at 7:15 p.m.
- The run course does proceed off the roadway for a portion of the run.
– This starts at the sidewalk between Albee Hall and Reeve Union where the run will proceed between those two buildings then up the mall sidewalks from Reeve Union toward Arts and Communications passing Albee, Polk, Dempsey, Oviatt, Harrington, Halsey, Swart and Arts and Comm.
The Oshkosh Police Department, along with several other area departments, will help direct participants and guests through the area of the event. Travel in this area from 7 until 9 p.m. will be congested due to the run course and travel delays in certain areas will occur.
6 a.m. – Portions of Lot # 13 closed for event preparation
1 p.m. – Event setup begins
4 p.m. – A larger than normal presence of Emergency Personnel and squad cars will arrive and be on campus.
5 p.m. – Event registration begins
6:30 p.m. – Kids 1K run on Pearl Avenue (some road closures begin in this area)
7:30 p.m. – 5K Run/Walk throughout the core campus (road closures will affect a large portion of the campus and near campus areas)
9 p.m. – Event ends
For more event details and a map of the run course, visit the link below:
Run With the Cops
Event Special Details
There will be between 30 and 40 squad cars in the area to support this event. The squad cars will be strategically placed throughout the run course area to light the run and guide the participants. They will have their lights activated during the run.
Please plan your travels accordingly and if you must come onto the campus area between 7 p.m. and 9 p.m., please work with our officers on site to help you get to and from the locations where you need to go.
If you have any questions, please respond to this email or call Captain Chris Tarmann at the Police Department (920-424-1212). If you would like to participate in this event you’re welcome to walk up and register starting at 5 p.m. tomorrow night. Visit www.runwithcops.org for more information.
Thank you for your understanding during this important event.